Friday, 29 May 2015

Two years

A lot can happen in two years. In my mind it fluctuates from being a very short time to seeming like forever. Two years ago today, Facebook reminded me, we sat in the airport with 3 pieces of luggage and our carry-ons.
I look at our apartment now and think... "where did all this stuff come from?!?" I'm so overwhelmed and thankful.

But it goes beyond stuff. I'm so amazed by the friendships we've developed, especially in the last year. I'm overwhelmed by the community and the sacrifice that I see all around me. I'm thankful that Malcolm has found his niche in the Lab and is making progress, while I'm finding more and more purpose in my time here.
I can't remember what we imagined life here would be like. Sometimes it's extremely normal and we're on the couch watching Youtube. Other times it's romantic and idyllic cycling along the river through the yellow fields. Sometimes I miss life in SA, my work. Sometimes it's hard and stressful, dealing with everyday pressures and to-do lists. Sometimes we miss home. Sometimes I feel too well adjusted, and sometimes not adjusted at all. Sometimes I forget I'm speaking German, and sometimes I can't find the right words. Sometimes German messes with my English and I say silly things like "It gives a Bushaltestelle here".

Very often, most often in fact, we forget we're even in Germany, and it's life is simply life. I think that's a good sign... and yet I also don't want to forget that our time here is limited. But most especially, I don't want to forget all the things that God has taught us and shown us and provided for us and been to us and His grace that just never ends.

My prayer that I had in my heart in the weeks before we left, still applies today.

 May the peoples praise you, God;
    may all the peoples praise you.
 May the nations be glad and sing for joy,
    for you rule the peoples with equity
    and guide the nations of the earth.
 May the peoples praise you, God;
    may all the peoples praise you.
 The land yields its harvest;
    God, our God, blesses us.
 May God bless us still,
    so that all the ends of the earth will fear him.
                                 [Psalm 67]

No comments:

Post a Comment