Friday, 28 November 2014

November

What?! A recap BEFORE the month is by?! Yes! :)

(Since we're flying to SA in 10 SLEEPS for a visit, I thought I'd better get on top of things here!)

November started with a visit from Cath and Wes, who were on their way to start their own new adventure in the UK. They were here for one night, but we saw a bit of Frankfurt and some of Marburg's Oberstadt.



I was so good to see Catherine again, and to finally meet Wes, the guy who stole her heart and married her earlier this year.

At the beginning of November I also started teaching a small group of beginners English. It's been... interesting. I find it frustrating how spelling and reading in English is so complicated in comparison to German, but at least there's only one 'the' and one 'a'. I also like the little group, and seeing them progress is so rewarding. The book we're using teaches not only English, but english stereotypes, too. So, we've drunk a lot of tea together. (And I'm becoming more and more aware of how many people find it weird to have milk in tea.)



A highlight this month, was meeting for a bring and share dinner with others who used to live in our building. It was great to get together again and catch up. Plus, when meeting with people from around the world, there's always interesting and delicious food to discover! These people feel much like family over here, and getting to celebrate the birthday of one of the children was sweet too! Unfortunately, since then, we've heard that we won't be returning to our old home. It's been a ride of ups and downs and constant hoping, but it's been confirmed this last week that we need to find another apartment. It's sad, and I'm disappointed, but at least we have a concrete answer of what the next step is, 5 months later. We'll begin our search for a new home in January, and see what we find.



The dinner was in CenTral, which we're graciously allowed to use now and then. There's been a lot happening there recently and now things are getting ready for Christmas. Christmas decor is up, and parties and get-togethers are being planned. It is a shame that we won't be here for most of it - if only one could be two places at once!


The rest of Marburg is also looking all Christmassy now, with the lights and decor up. Tonight is Marburg b(u)y night, which we're looking forward too, though I expect it'll be much the same as last year


It's also getting colder and cosier... legwarmers are out for ballet, and it's boot-and-scarf weather again. I'm hoping it snows this next week before we leave! 





Little things still manage to amaze us, too. Like, one afternoon coming home, we spotted these mushrooms. I've only EVER seen these kinds of mushrooms in story books and drawings... seeing them in real life made us stop and admire them for a few minutes. Spotty mushrooms and squirrels turn us to children all over again :) 


Now, I'm off to fetch our Christmas decor from our apartment and bring it to our current one - I hadn't been planning to, but since we have to move everything out eventually, we might as well do it now and have some festive-cheer at home!

10 comments:

  1. I don't get why people find milk in tea to be weird, it's the way it's supposed to be drunk in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching English is fun and frustrating all at the same time! I've never seen those mushrooms in real life, either. So fun that you actually saw some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly did not know that red mushrooms with white spots existed in this world! That is so cool!! And hurray for a trip home--also for getting final word about the apartment even though it wasn't the answer you were hoping for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking the same as Rachel, I had no idea that red mushrooms were a thing! Have a great time decorating your apartment, I'm looking forward to reading more about it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man. so excited for your SA trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree! While I sometimes drink rooibos tea without milk, it's soooo good milky! I won't talk about normal black tea since I don't enjoy it either way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's really stretching me and making me very grateful that it's my home-language!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's pretty cool, right?! I figured they must exist somewhere, but finding some was a surprise! Glad I'm not the only one fascinated by them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad I'm not alone in my wonder! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a million times more excited than you ;) :D

    ReplyDelete