Friday, 13 June 2014

Berlin {Part 2}

Sunday, after going to church, we headed out to the Carnival Parade. So. Many. People. (and a disproportionate amount of clothes, I might add.)

It was really incredible to see the diversity of Berlin, and Germany in general, on display with so many different cultures and nations represented.

the following photos are not always grouped according to country etc. 



Sadly, South Africa was not represented in the parade... or we missed it. Fortunately, we did spot our flag's colours and we went over to see if the bearer was indeed from South Africa. Thumbs up indicate yes. (And I need to practice a thumb up in the mirror so that it doesn't look so weird...)


Meeting Patrick from Cape Town was pretty good luck, and it was nice to hear another accent like ours... although we all know that CT/JHB and DBN accents are different, and that there are waaaaay too many accents in SA to have a typical SA accent.

That evening after the parade we hung out at home base playing insanely fast games of a card game I've forgotten the name of. Eventually we packed up a picnic and went to the canal to have supper and then a walk around.
 



Another late night, another fairly early morning, and we were back at the station to head home-wards.


10 comments:

  1. Love reading your posts and the pics in this one are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh, the colors in this post are gorgeous - it reminds me of mardi gras in new orleans :) also, love love love that white dress in your bottom picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you took some beautiful photos - what a fun looking festival!
    That picture of you and Malcolm with the skyline is great!

    I'm also interested in the answer to Rachel's question! I've never actually met anyone from SA, only a girl who grew up there as a missionary's kid. I don't know if it is just me, or Americans in general, but I really never knew much about South Africa. And feel like I've learned most of what I know from your blog...apart from just a few historical things I learned in a class I took called Sociology of Africa (of which SA only had a very brief section of the course).

    ReplyDelete
  4. sheesh! the costumes and their colors!! looks like tons of fun and then a lovely evening setting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, looks like you had a great time at the parade. Love that photo of you and Malcolm against the skyline!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was fun! And thanks, it's a pretty romantic setting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was so much fun - it was the first karneval I've been to and it didn't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks!
    I answered Rachel's Q down below...
    I guess America is so huge there's enough to learn right there :) ;) To be fair, I think a lot of South Africans don't really know much about the States! In fact, I finally learned about the whole boomers and sooners thing when helping a girl here with an English comprehension exercise ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. accent tag videos!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8mJBuvk1hc

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFZa5yl1pqI

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgeonR1pqPU

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIgy7-5ySSc

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hah, how funny that you learned about the boomers and sooners! Definitely an interesting one, but with the story that surrounds the name I'm surprised that more people don't have a problem with that still being our university's mascot.

    I think America tends to be quite self-centered a lot of times. I do feel like with each generation more and more people are interested in what is taking place in the rest of the world...and considering how many social problems we've had to sort out domestically over the last century I can understand why it's taken us this long to get on the ball with being internationally aware.

    I just watched the videos you posted below Rachel's comment! That was SO interesting...their accents were very different! It would be fun to do a blogger's version of accent tags!

    ReplyDelete