Monday, 12 May 2014

Life lately.

I've been recapping mum and dad's visit, but I thought I'd take a moment to log what life's like right now.

This last weekend, Malcolm and I went on an expedition to a bike-shop to buy some things that his bike still needed. Cycling in traffic, and cycling down the steep hills cause me some anxiety, but it's kinda fun too. And way easier than the way back up. After getting bits and pieces for Malcolm's bike, and then stopping by the Hauptbahnhof for lunch from the bakery, we cycled along the Lahn. There's a path all the way along it, and with the dreary weather, we could ride next to each other since not many people were coming from ahead. It rained quite a bit, but there is something romantic about cycling along in the rain with the one I love. We took a path recommended by a friend, since it isn't as steep (thank you!), and wound our way back up the hill through the forest, it was pretty and green and fresh, but we were rather wet and relieved to get home.
I went out a bit later, and, on our score-board of who has fallen off their bike, I'm now two up on Malcolm. Both times have been due to pavements; incident number one, back in Koln, invloved no pavement when I needed there to be one, and incident number two on Saturday involved hitting a curbstone at the wrong angle. Fortunately, my pride is more wounded than my little bruised knee.

Yesterday, Sunday, we pretty much hibernated after church. The weather seems so fickle with its constant change between rain and hail and then sunshine and blue skies. That said, the advantage is all the rainbows. Coming home on Friday evening, Richtsberg had a rainbow in just about every direction. I could only see bits, but Nicole, from her apartment window, had THIS view.


Incredible.

Anyway, remember last time I mentioned rainbows? Turns out I was right about spring and the new things it brings. I'll be starting a temporary job soon, which I'm pretty excited about. It's not teaching, which is a change for me, and I finally get to use some other aspects of my studies and explore my other interests. What's great is that it's part time, so I still get to stay committed to all the other things I'm involved in which I love doing.

It's definitely been a challenge though, putting on my big-girl pants and sorting things out. I really dread paper work and visits to offices, which life has involved a lot of. Lots of big words too. I think that a Sozialversicherungsausweis may just be the longest word for a thing I've applied for. That said, a visit to the bank this morning also included Haftpflichtversicherung and vermögenswirksame Leistungen. I'm very grateful to all the patient people in offices here who write down key words for me, and explain themselves so clearly. I'm learning to ask for clarification when I don't follow, but when the man at the Standesamt was explaining to me the laws of name changing in Germany, I just nodded along with my key "yes I'm following" words. I don't know what the laws are. But, if you're planning to leave the country shortly after getting married, it's worth changing your name on key documents before leaving. Lesson learned. Thanks, mum, for being our SA correspondent and standing in queues at Home Affairs and figuring things out there.

Malcolm, meanwhile, attended a really cool symposium in Munster on Friday, which had some really good speakers. He's working really hard to try to get results as soon as he can, what with Chemistry not always working as one wants it to. All the while, his servant-heart is constantly displayed, as he picks flowers for me on his way home, or glues my shoes back together, or nails things into the walls for me to hang things up. It's such a blessing to be married to this man, and with the 4years-together-mark coming up soon, I can hardly believe how much life has changed since those pre-dating days.

So. That's what's on my mind, what life is like at the moment, on a Monday afternoon as I'm getting ready for what the next week has in store!

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new job! I think part-time is way preferable to full-time because it allows to do more outside of work! And that is an AMAZING rainbow, it's so rare that you can see the whole arc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on some new work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. our weekends sound pretty similar, except i didn't get to see a gorgeous rainbow :) if we lived closer i'd invite y'all for a bike ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that rainbow is unreal! isn't it something how you can add 'in the rain' and your honey to things and instant romance? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your bike through the rain just sounds so cool and sweet. That rainbow is super incredible and congratulations on the new season with the job! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your new job! What will you be doing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! It's secretarial work that involves bits and pieces of PR, English-proof-reading/translating and designing stuff too, hopefully :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was sweet as long as I focused on the romance of it, otherwise it was just plain cold and uncomfortable ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right??? I totally understand why at the end of romanitc movies it rains.. instant emotions ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, and I agree, especially at the moment! The rainbow was incredible, so strong and bright and big... God speaking loud and clear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - that rainbow! Amazing!

    Congratulations on your new job! And it is so wonderful when people in your host country are patient and so willing to help! I hope your job is going well!

    ReplyDelete