Friday, 11 April 2014

The week of... waving.

On Monday Malcolm went off to the lab, and Mum, Dad and I went into town to buy a simcard and so that I could finally buy Malcolm a birthday present. (yep, he got presents from everybody but me because I couldn't decide what to get him.) It wasn't terribly exciting, since there isn't much to do around here, but it was fun playing cards and hanging out.

Tuesday morning mum and dad packed up again and I went with them to the train station for them to catch a train to Munich. I booked and bought their tickets a couple months ago and at the time, first class seats cost nearly the same as 2nd class, so they were able to travel comfy in first class.


I stood there for what seemed like ages waiting for the train to leave, and then thought, "I should take a photo", and as I took it, the train started moving.  They arrived safely and saw lots of old buildings and sampled the beer, as one does when in Munich. They left yesterday again to Vienna, and although their second train was quite delayed, they got there all right.

The rest of the week has been so quiet... on Wednesday I had my usual tutoring lesson, where the student had forgotten her books at school, so I was essentially paid to chat in English about subjects ranging from movies to honour killing. I just missed the first bus home afterwards, so I decided to walk along the bus route instead of stand and wait... I finally got to see the area nicely, but I really should consider more sensible footwear for such decisions.

This morning I went with Malcolm to the station, for him to catch a bus to the conference held by his scholarship organisation. He'll be there this whole weekend, and as I said goodbye to him I was so proud of him, so proud to be his. He suddenly just looked so adult to me. I know he's been an adult for a while, but having met him when he was 20, and started dating him when he was 22, there's been such a change over the years and it just struck me this morning.

Anyway,I'm getting rather tired of standing on platforms, waving goodbye to people, but there's still more of that to come. Fortunately, I also get to stand on platforms and wave hullo to them when they get back.

8 comments:

  1. I know what you mean I met Fredrik at 23 and lately he all of a sudden looks so adultlike to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. paid to chat? sounds like a great gig :) hope you're busy while malcom is away this weekend - i always try to fill my schedule to the brim when i know jon's going to be out of town (helps me not miss shim as much)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saving goodbye is always so hard! Sounds like you had a good week though!

    http://liveitinerantly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love tutoring when it means fun conversations!! I didn't meet Angel till he was 24...I think he looks exactly the same. Maybe not quite as skinny but they say that's a pretty common result of marriage. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it funny? It's odd to think that we're already 'growing old together'... I never thought that it's a process that starts when we're still young! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely! I mean, usually we do her homework together, but this was nice, especially since I was really tired and not in an "English grammar state of mind". I actually don't have much to do... I had a kidsclub sleep over last night so that gave me something to do, but tomorrow is empty. Maybe I'll clean, or hang out in the playground :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really is! But, at least everybody will be coming back this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely, except I become really aware of my accent and bad English quirks sometimes.

    ReplyDelete