Tuesday, 15 April 2014

The Bentleys Abroad {part 4}

After spending the night at a hotel in Bonn, we woke up the next morning to the Bonn Marathon outside our windows. Mum and dad went out early and took photos of the university building and the martyrs heads, and then came back for breakfast, which we ate together.




 I think continental breakfasts, with fresh breadrolls and nutella are my favourite. Not even incredibly fit people racing past on rollerblades or on foot could make me enjoy it less.


Afterwards, when all packed up again, we hung out in the avenue of trees and waited for Onkel Arno and Tante Ursel to come and meet us. It was a good opportunity for impromptu photos by the trees. Every blogger needs a photo of themselves, and their husband/boyfriend/dog if applicable, by a tree. Right? Right.



And every tourist in Bonn needs a photo of themselves in front of the University.


Onkel Arno and Tante Ursel met us soon afterwards, and we made our way, through the crowds of runners, to the Beethoven house. Beethoven was born in this pretty city and his statue or face appears as graffiti, statues all over, pictures in windows, souvenirs... he's creepily everywhere. We went to the house in which he was born, and saw the tiny little room where he took his first breaths. A lot of his letters and compositions and instruments are on display there, and although it's nothing spectacular, it was interesting. (also, photography isn't allowed inside) It also makes one think of how much potential is in every little being... we never know what great things might become of little babies.



After the museum, we headed to the northern part of the city, where the streets were full of cherry blossoms. It was absolutely beautiful, especially when the wind blew and the petals would come showering down.





The avenue of trees eventually lead us to the Rhine, which we walked along for quite some time. We passed by the statue of the little man pulling his pants down and pointing his rear end in the direction of the people who refused to contribute money towards the building of the bridge, before heading back into the city for lunch at a Greek restaurant. It was such a good one, I wish I knew what it was called because the food and the service were great.




After lunch, we went to the cathedral, which was finally accessible again after the marathon was calming down. I love what a quiet place it is in the courtyard.




With us still having a few hours until the train we wanted to take, we took the long walk (ok not actually thaaaat long, but after a weekend of walking, it certainly felt extremely long!) to the old castle's other half, and the botanical garden that is joined to it.









The gardens are really beautiful, and now in spring they were definitely worth the visit. All that's missing is a coffee shop... lucky scientists that get to work in this beautiful old building! The garden has got some really interesting plants, especially in the greenhouse. The giant lillypads, strong enough for a child to sit on, reminded me of teaching "frog jumps" to my ballet girls.

After having a last cup of coffee with Tante Ursel and Onkel Arno at their flat, and making some sandwiches for the road, we went off to the station. The way back was long, and some of the trains were quite full, but it was fun. At least, Malcolm and I sitting behind mum and dad, and Malcolm seeing how many tiny pieces of paper he could sneak into mum's hair before she noticed was fun.

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos Erica. I love the cherry blossom, so pretty. The cathedral and castle gardens all look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful!!! I am going abroad this summer- I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those. Cherry. BLOSSOMS!!!! I am dying, they are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that view of the cherry blossoms covering the street is IN.sane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really was beautiful, like a story book :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw I'm glad they could make you happy there in the midst of dreary cold weather. Your turn will come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right?! I had no idea they were there - the perks of visiting locals who know these things, otherwise we would have missed them totally!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree! There were so many people taking photos there, though not as many as I imagine would have been there if the marathon weren't happening... clearly we aren't the only ones who find it an amazing sight!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh they were so very dreamy... especially when the wind blew and they showered down... it was like being in a Disney movie of some kind ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bonn looks stunning! I really need to find the time to go and visit. I love your mandatory tree pics ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am obsessed with cherry blossoms! I would have been skipping through that street!! Oh my gosh. Can I just jump into these pictures?? PLeassse! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really think it's underrated... okay, there's not much to do there, but I love how pretty it is, all the old, fancy houses, big trees...
    And thanks, I'll have to update my photo some time using my mandatory tree photos, then I'll be a *real* blogger ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are beautiful, I'd never seen so many before (ie. there was once one in the garden of a flat I rented) so I was really surprised and delighted! I would've skipped too, if there weren't so many people's photos I would have bombed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Erica, I really like that impromptu shots of you and Malcolm by the treel Really lovely! Looks like you had a wonderful time in Bonn with your Tante and Onkel. Funny seeing Germany's version of cherry blossom. I enjoyed all your photos. Felt I was there. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the university and cheery blossom pics! We have a few trees in our front yard but the blossoms are gone now and we are hoping to get lucky next week in South Korea with cherry blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pictures...all of them! The architecture there is so beautiful, as are the cherry blossoms!

    It sounds like your parents had a great trip to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks! It really was a lovely time, and I hope you had a happy Easter too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a pity how short-lived the blossoms are!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I almost thought this university in Bonn was the palace in Karlsruhe - so many similar features!


    The cherry blossoms are just gorgeous!! I wish we had mroe of them here down south.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, they did! :) And the photos are thanks to my dad :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm finding that there seemed to be a lot of architectural copy-catting - so many places look alike!

    ReplyDelete