Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Brown-E's


I saw this really cool April Fool's Day prank with the Brownies on Pinterest a while ago. I considered pulling it on Malcolm but just didn't get around to planning it properly. Besides, aren't real brownies far better? The answer is... 
yes. 
So, if you thought I'm talking about Brown-E's today, the jokes on you. I made real ones. Brownies. Mwahaha. 


And they're amazing. Really. I haven't made brownies in a very long time. I blame first year, living with Candice, discovering the joy that is brownies, and the 10kgs that came with them. 
BUT.... It's Malcolm's birthday on Saturday, and I wanted to make something that he could take into varsity with him and spread the birthday-cheer. After much consideration, I made Viennese Brownies out of the "Cakes to Celebrate Love and Life" recipe book. It's a recipe book full of incredible cakes and treats, and I'm so so very happy that Candice passed it to me to look after when they left to England. And now it's in mum's care. That said, I have no idea what makes these brownies Viennese, but they sure are good. 

The recipe looks really involved at first glance (well, to me, if anything requires more than one bowl it's deemed finicky.) but it's actually really quick. And it requires cream cheese, which I again replaced with Quark. Still yum! 

Ingredients: 
1 cup (250ml) cream cheese
1/2 cup (100g) white sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence 
300g unsweetened chocolate, chopped
110g butter, unsalted
1 cup (170g) brown sugar
3/4 cup (105g) flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
icing sugar for dusting. 

Heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. 
In a bowl, stir the cream cheese to soften it (or quark...). Add the white sugar and one of the eggs and the vanilla essence. Stir it all together and set aside. 
In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and the butter together and then set it aside to cool. In another bowl, medium sized (or giant, as I used, since it's all I have...) beat the last two eggs together and then add the brown sugar. Add the chocolate mixture to this and mix it together. Sift (or just dump...) the flour, baking powder and salt into the chocolate mixture and stir to combine it. 
Pour half of the mixture into a prepared oven tray or glass dish (mine measured 40x25cm-ish). Spread the cream-cheese-mixture on top of the layer of batter. Lastly, spread the remaining batter over the cream cheese. 
TIP: Perhaps the cream-cheese makes a stiffer mixture than quark, but if, like me, you're not using cream-cheese and the mixture is really soft, you'll have a problem spreading the remaining batter over it. I added a little milk to the second half of the batter to thin it out a little so that I could sort of pour it over thinly and evenly, and do minimal spreading. If it mixes though, it's still pretty and swirly! :) (Don't add milk to the first half of the batter - it needs to be thick so that the cream-mixture can spread over it!) 

Bake them for about half an hour... Just keep an eye on them. When they're done, sprinkle icing sugar over them, and cut them into squares about 5x5cm. It makes about 30 of them. 
They come out perfectly goo-ey, and crunchy on top. Pefection. No jokes.


6 comments:

  1. They look very nice indeed! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh, these look delicious - but i know what you mean about brownies being hard to resist- they are my most favorite dessert :) and you just reminded me that i need to plan an april fools before jon gets home (i've got 20 min!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sad yet relieved to see them go off with Malcolm this morning. So tasty, so tempting. Hope you found something to do quickly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are amazing. I'm usually quite weary of fancy recipes, but this one is so trustworthy!

    ReplyDelete