Friday, 21 March 2014

Wedding Flashback: the Dance. and Music. and the End. or Beginning.

Continuing our wedding flashbacking... previous posts include: 
Getting ready
The ceremony
The reception and YUM
Something has to go wrong
Photography
I'm aware that I'm not really writing in any sort of logical order...
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our anniversary is this weekend! This time last year, South Africa's Human Rights Day, we were in eShowe and getting things organised. I'd arrived home to realise that our cake was bigger than the bag of potatoes we'd calculated we needed. We definitely had enough cake!


Anyway, today, the last 'flashback' is to the dance. I think that the dance is what I'd looked forward to the most. I think. I'd envisaged it as a sweet, romantic dance in the arms of my love under a big tree, in the soft sunshine. There were white paper lanterns hanging in the trees, swaying softly (I have no idea how they were put up there, I left that in Lindsay and Clayton's capable hands!). And it was. It was, in my memory, perfect.


We started dance lessons the year before, just for fun - you never know when you need to dance. It was also a good way to bring up communication and leadership issues ;) We learned the Waltz and salsa and a bunch of others, and had a pretty broad variety, though not much depth.

When it came to choosing our song, though, it was SO difficult. We considered songs like 'All I want is you' by Kimya Dawson, Que Sera Sera (we couldn't decide on a version - although I really like this one by Pink Martini), 'the sweetheart tree' (which we used as guests left the church) and a whole lot that I can't remember.

Eventually, because of the beautiful lyrics and the time signature, we went with 'Prayer' by Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli. We had an hour-lesson credit at Ben's Dance Studio, and we were taught three more steps to use, and how to count the music correctly. From there, we practiced in the garden at my flat, dodging the washing line and cats. I really didn't want it choreographed, though it could have resulted in a more spectacular dance to watch, because we wanted Malcolm to lead it, and to not have the stress of performing and remembering the sequence... just dancing and following Malcolm's lead was so peaceful and special. Even if we did mess up a bit.

I think this is my favourite photo of Malcolm. The love that this man leads me with! 



One of Daddy's photos






After that dance, we invited everybody to the 'dance floor' for one dance all together, before we'd head off. My dream of dancing to 'You're so true' by Joseph McArthur also came true there! And I realised how long it is! I'm very impressed with all those who stuck the whole song out with us! It was so much fun! I like exclamation marks!






of course we're singing along.


As we left the reception, we had 'Happy Together' by the Turtles playing... Strangely enough, it became a favourite song of ours because it was used in a Cremora commercial on TV when we were dating. Thanks, Cremora.




From here, we actually parked just around the corner, to swap cars. We'd wanted to drive off in Malcolm's car, but had forgotten to wash it and he didn't want to drive his new wife off in a dirty car (yet...). So Savio chauffeured us to Dr Brit's parking lot, where Martin brought Malcolm's car, and we could then drive off in that one to have more photos taken.

And that concludes it. The best day. One of the best days, at least. I can hardly believe that it's been a whole year since then. But only a year. It's been an exciting one, a daunting one, but one where we've really had to rely on the grace that God gives us. To end off, I want to remind myself, and share with you, two verses that have really come to mean so much to me.



13 comments:

  1. Ahw I love the last two! Your dress was so beautiful and very classy!
    -Marley
    http://www.afandlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos! And so fun that you took a dance class together--ballroom dance opportunities are all too rare, but I love them! And I didn't make the connection before--our dating anniversary is the same weekend as your wedding anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are beautiful but you're even more so! The love you two have for each other is so obvious and so sweet. This warmed my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your dance photographs are precious - you can see how in love you are in each of them :) you should share them with weddinggawker :) and how fun that you took dance lessons? we had wanted to and then ran out of time - maybe something we can do when we retire? ah... such a long wait though!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I'm so glad we took the dance lessons, although we've forgotten so much already! Don't wait til you retire! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw thanks, I'm glad you found it heart-warming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! The classes were so much fun, I'm so glad we did it! And I hope you had a cool weekend reminiscing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much! I'm so glad that a year later I'm not horrified by my dress choice but still like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are stunning! I can see why you love that one of your husband so much - his love and care for you is so clear in his sweet eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are stunning! I can see why you love that one of your husband so much - his love and care for you is so clear in his sweet eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! And that's exactly why I love that picture, too!

    ReplyDelete