Thursday, 6 March 2014

Wedding flashback: all dressed up

Continuing our wedding flashbacking... previous posts include: 

For those of you who don't know, South Africa is a rather large country. The main cities are Pretoria/Johannesburg (to me they're one city, I know they aren't really), Cape Town, and Durban. I happened to pick my two bridesmaids from Cape Town and from Johannesburg, while I was located near Durban. This makes dress shopping rather tricky.

I originally thought that they should just get dresses made, or each find a dress that they liked. However, with both of them with busy schedules, this just didn't work. And, upon reflection, I'm not sure I would have liked that; just because two dresses are 'navy' or 'yellow' doesn't mean that they are actually the same colour, or match in style. Getting them made was also not an option, since fittings are really time consuming, and I wanted to be sure that they were both happy with their dresses. 

Fortunately, they both were around near Christmas, and we tackled dress-shopping together. Looking for a dress in yellow, navy or grey, in any length, proved harder than anticipated. There were navy dresses that were okay, and we found grey ones that we'd need to find the right size in at another branch. But as we were on our way to leaving the mall, we passed a shop that we decided to have a look in. 
We found the perfect dresses. I love how these dresses flatter both Cara and Anabel, are elegant, but are still simple enough for a daytime, outdoorsy wedding. It's as simple as that. We bought the dresses, and it was sorted. Relief! 

The groomsmen's suits were to be grey, with navy ties. 
Malcolm and I went to a suit hire place in Durban where Malcolm had bought his suit, to see what we could rent for the guys. They had no grey suits. Then I saw navy. I'd never considered navy suits, and if somebody had suggested it, I probably would have refused. But, when I saw them, I actually liked them. Malcolm wasn't too convinced, but after holding one up we decided that they looked pretty good after all. And just like that, the groomsmen were wearing navy suits. We went downstairs to look at ties. Grey ties. Then we saw yellow or gold ties, and, despite my initial thought that they were too garish, we realised that they looked much better with the navy than the grey ties did, which were rather dull. And so, in less than an hour, the whole plan changed and the groomsmen were in navy and yellow, matching the bridesmaids pretty well! 




12 comments:

  1. I love how all the details just fell into place - when you know, you know - and it all looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone ended up looking amazing!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! They do all look great together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you - I was pretty jealous of their dresses actually, wish I could have bought myself one too ;) And yes, things did just fall into place, thankfully my mind wasn't too set on anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I was rather impressed when I saw it all come together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You all look amazing. The dresses are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such gorgeous dresses - your bridesmaids look lovely in the gowns. i love how every piece of your wedding was tied together with such attention to detail :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, I was beyond relieved to find them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I'm amazed that it actually came together - so much was not through my hard work at all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, love the yellow flowers and navy dress combination!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! I've seen it so often now, but I still love it!

    ReplyDelete