Thursday, 27 March 2014

Contradiction cake

I mentioned the other day that we had a cake-party on Sunday, to get to know people in the area. (SO much fun!) Four of us agreed to bring cakes along, and it was really sweet that many others also brought stuff along to share, even though it wasn't asked for.
It was such a great opportunity not only to meet new friends, but also to try out a cake I'd been dreaming thinking of.


My decision about what to take with started off with the thought that it should be something not too sweet and rich, since there will be other cake as well. So carrot cake is good. I mean, carrots. They're healthy!
But then I got thinking. Caramel. Caramel is one of my favourite things. Caramel and carrot cake would go together so well.
Carrot and Caramel... so much for keeping it light!
The recipe included nuts, which I thought would add a good crunch. On the same day I baked this cake, though, I also baked cookies. I ran out of chocolate chips for them, so I decided I'd use some nuts. But not too many, because the nuts are for the cake. And then I forgot to add them to the cake. So I thought, 'no problem, I'll slice the cake in half, spread some caramel and icing in the middle, and sprinkle the nuts inside!'
So I sliced the cake in half, spread some caramel and icing in the middle, and put the cake back togehter again. Yep, I forgot the nuts again.
Finally, I ended up sprinkling them on top. Thank goodness I remembered to add the carrots.

So it's a really simple cake. There are plenty of carrot cake recipes out there to follow, though I used my mum's tried and tested one. I used a kinda cream cheese icing... except, I used Quark and icing sugar, which I've realised is like the easiest kind of icing to make.
The caramel is the fun part, though! And, it's pretty easy to make.

1.25 cups sugar
1/3 cup water
vanilla
200 ml cream
(you can also stir in any nuts or things at the end)

In a non-stick pan, pour 1.25 cups of sugar into the centre. Gently pour a third of a cup of water around the edges, and run your finger through the centre to moisten the sugar (any germs will be annihilated by the heat just now, don't worry.). Make sure that there isn't any sugar on the sides of the pan, it should all be in the middle and wet. Turn the heat up high, and resist the temptation to stir it. (Those of you who are like me and like to prod and stir and play with whatever is in a pan). Allow the mixture to boil, and swirl the pan around now and again to distribute the sugar evenly. When it reaches medium-brown, turn off the heat. Pour in the cream and vanilla, while stirring with a wooden spoon, and be careful because it froths and bubbles up. Keep stirring so that it's all combines, and then set it aside to cool a bit before using it.
After it has cooled, I thought it was still too runny, and returned it to the heat for a bit - it did thicken quite nicely, and ended up more like fudge than runny caramel, so just be careful there.

It's pretty simple, and not as scary as I first thought. However, if that seems too much effort, buy this >>>


I made the mistake of buying this caramel yesterday, a week in advance for Malcolm's birthday cake. Then I made the second mistake, evident in the broken sticker-seal: opening it to test it out. Results of my taste-test: Delcious. creamy. buy it. 



So, at the end of the day, It was carrot cake. Cut in half with icing and caramel spread over it. Icing on top, drizzled with carmel, and sprinkled with nuts. Kinda healthy, right?

12 comments:

  1. So glad you commented on my blog today so I could find yours and this delicious recipe! I am a huge carrot cake fan and this just sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny you are with your baking! I always try to put out everything on the counter so halfway through cooking I look over and am like why the heck is an onion out or whatever and then I hastily add it to the meal too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I love your story of repeatedly forgetting the nuts. :P I've never been adventurous enough to make my own caramel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh that looks delicious! I love the name of it too ;). I wish I could bake... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, your baking projects have a way of turning into wonderful adventures and stories - and i'm sure it would have been good even without the carrots, right? i mean, at least you didn't forget the caramel? oh, sigh, no, i suppose the carrots are a pretty critical component of carrot cake. anyway - it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your name for it! It makes complete sense! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you came by! I'm more of a caramel fan than carrot cake, but the combination is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always thought that cooking shows where all the ingredients were out on the counter looked so unrealistic. People do that?!? I guess it's a pretty good idea and might help me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the second time I've made it and I love how accomplished it makes me feel :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! Just buy the caramel. Eat it with a teaspoon... easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, my aunt baked poppy seed cake and forgot the poppy seeds, so then what does one call it?! I'd also much rather have forget the carrots than the caramel... all that carrot-grating makes the process significantly less fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, descriptive names are just too common ;)

    ReplyDelete