Thursday, 27 February 2014

Wedding Flashback : Centre Pieces

*it's less than a month until our first wedding anniversary, which is why I'm suddenly Flash-back crazy. I'm enjoying reminiscing about the days leading up to it, and the day itself.* 

Our colour-scheme was yellow and navy-ish blue. I'm not sure if we ever actually discussed it, or if I declared it sovereignly (as only brides seem to do), but they were the colours that just were. Everybody seemed happy with them though. As long my mom didn't have to wear yellow, she was happy as Larry. (haha! So as happy as my dad was at not wearing yellow. My dad's name is Larry.) I digress.

Blue because the colour makes Malcolm's eyes stand out. Yellow because sunflowers are yellow. And sunflowers were automatically assumed. Because.

sunflowers yellow navy blue
Cara-Lee Gevers Photography
One day, while on holiday at my parents house, sometime in the 9 months before we actually started planning our wedding, my eyes fell on the ceramic pots on the bookshelf in the lounge. They've always been there, but I suddenly noticed their beautiful shade of blue. 

It was official; these pots were going to be used. 

The pots came to South Africa with my grandparents when they emigrated from Germany in the 50's. I never met my grandmother from that side, and, seeing as something from my paternal grandmother was incorporated into the getting-ready photos, as I'd always dreamed, it was nice to have something from my mom's side too. 

After some pinterest-ing one day, I came across the wooden disks as centre-pieces. I thought they were a good way to make the centre pieces a little more 'together', as opposed to having random things scattered on the table. To find them wasn't so easy - people don't seem to go around chopping down trees big enough. Fortunately (for us!), a storm came through PMB, and a tree in our university parking lot fell over. Once the fellers had chopped it up, Malcolm and I loaded a couple logs into his teeny-weeny boot, and, after they stood in my flat for some time, we took them to Durban, where his parents got somebody to chop them up. They turned out just as I'd imagined.

blue, navy, yellow, grey ceramic and wood
Cara-Lee Gevers Photography
We also had lanterns with the table number on them. These belong to the High School where my mom works, and are often used for the matric-dance. We got hold of them, spent a day sanding off a LOT of old paint, and then I painted them grey and stuck blue cardboard numbers on. Initially, they were going to have a candle in, as we initially wanted an evening reception. But, when it became a morning wedding, the candles were replaced by flowers.

Table number centre piece
Cara-Lee Gevers Photography
Still wanting some flickering candles, we had the blue candle holders next to the pots made by a lady in Eshowe, Ilona Andrews. She did such a great job, and after the wedding we gave them to people who helped out.

ceramic blue glaze
Cara-Lee Gevers Photography
I'm so happy with how all the elements actually came together!

the House Inn Zululand, eshowe
Cara-Lee Gevers Photography
wedding reception: blue, navy, yellow, white
Cara-Lee Gevers Photography

I look forward to sharing more soon! 

21 comments:

  1. Ah, this is just lovely! I love all things wedding related so it was fun to walk down memory lane with you. PS: Loving the new look here (sorry if it is a little belated of a comment :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new look! How fun to reminisce your wedding day! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such heart and soul at your wedding - love how you incorporated bits of home into your marriage ceremony to make something truly personal and unique :) looks like it was a lovely wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1 year is coming up so fast?? Man. And how pretty!! Ours was a winter wedding, so I think it could have hardly looked more opposite to your sunshiney summery decor. I love your decor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And now you have started your own collection of pots from the Westerwald. These salt glaze pots are special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good for the soul to linger on such lovely things. Details matter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those ended up looking so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your centerpieces were lovely, they remind me a lot of Saxon's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are pretty similar, hers were also yellow, right? (I can't find it on her blog now) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! I was pretty excited to see it all come together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exactly... and with Spring coming, I'm looking forward to yellow flowers in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's totally sneaked up on us! And yes, no huge coats or 'trying to keep warm photos' for us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was really practical and made it special too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks! It is so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, I updated it fairly recently :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. the style was really similar...she had sort of a variety of colors, yellow, white, brown...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the story about the pots - what special pieces to include!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So nice you could incorporate some meaningful decorations into your wedding. They look nice and tasteful, I like the navy and yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was really special getting to use them - I'm so glad we had enough to use in such a big way, and that they were free ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you! I've since come to love the navy and yellow combination even more :)

    ReplyDelete