Tuesday, 18 February 2014

Miracle Cake

I really felt like baking on Sunday. It was a good day for it because
a) it was Mum's birthday
b) we were going to friends for coffee and cake so I'd be able to share and get the temptation out the house
and
c) it was a miserable, rainy day. 

However, one of the main things I've had to get used to here, is that shops are geschlossen on Sundays. Some bakeries open for a few hours, but grocery stores are completely shut, and there is no such thing as a 24hour Spar down the road from us. This poses a challenge to spontaneous baking, when ingredients are not guaranteed to be in our grocery cupboard. 

Fortunately, I remembered that we had plain yoghurt in the fridge, which made me think of the spicy yogurt cake recipe that I've had for aaaaaages but have never had the ingredients for. They aren't crazy ingredients, but I don't usually have all of them. 

I read over the recipe and realised that, miraculously, I did indeed have all the ingredients. I had the exact amount of butter, the exact amount of yoghurt... everything was perfect to try this new cake. In honour of mum's birthday, I could bake a cake, without substituting anything!
Okay, well, since it's honouring mum, the queen of substitutive baking, I had to substitute ONE ingredient.

Without further ado, I present... Spicy Yoghurt Cake. Aka. miracle cake.

caramel almond spice yoghurt cake

Ingredients: 

CAKE
450ml cake flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs
310ml brown sugar
125ml butter/margarine
250ml plain yoghurt

TOPPING
50ml cream
50ml butter
125ml brown sugar
160ml desiccated coconut
50gr nuts

Preheat oven to 160degrees C. Mix eggs and sugar together, then add melted butter while whisking. Add the yoghurt. Add all other ingredients and mix together. Pour it into a lined 23cm square baking tin. (or, if you're in my position, onto an oven tray covered in tin foil folded up around the edges...) and bake for about 45 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.

While it's baking, slowly heat the ingredients for the topping, until the sugar has melted. Bring to a boil and simmer for a minute.

When the cake is done, pour the topping over it (you may need to poke some holes in it if it keeps running to the sides). I also sprinkled some more nuts over the topping. Put the cake back under the heated oven grill until the topping begins to caramelise. (Sadly, our oven has no grill, but it worked well enough.) 
Leave the cake to cool before turning it out. It's also one of those cakes that taste better once cooled than while warm, so let it cool. Yes, I tested this.

Devour. Or have self-control and share.

It turned out pretty well, even though I substituted the mixed spice and ground ginger for "Lebkuchen Gewurz", which is pretty similar. Hey, it was that or curry powder.

It was really tasty, and would be even BETTER with Icecream. In Summer. Come on Summer! 

12 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I usually have to substitute as well since I always forget to prepare properly!! :)
    http://liveitinerantly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo... Yummy! That looks GOOD! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saxon @ Let's Drink Coffee, Da18 February 2014 at 23:51

    This sounds really yummy! :) I love all those spices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea...i think i need this in my life...yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. is there anything better than baking on a rainy day? the only thing i can think of is.. sharing the baked goods with friends :) your cake looks delicious, so i think you made out OK with all the shops being closed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my mum's most memorable adaptions is where she used vanilla pudding instead of chocolate, and pears instead of apples (or the other way around), and left out some ingredients because she didn't want to go out of her way to buy them only for us to not like the recipe, she wanted to first know if we liked it... which we did. But if she made it according to the recipe, who knows?
    I like your loose interpretation - I mean, if it tastes good and isn't dangerous... why not? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baking really is wonderful on a rainy day! I just miss having windows in the kitchen to actually see the rain. Thankful I had all the ingredients though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, you do! It's a pretty delicious recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The spices with the caramel are my favourite.... I mean, if I had limited ingredients, I'd just eat the caramel with the nuts and spices and leave out the cake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hedemarie Bentley22 February 2014 at 07:47

    The only ingredients that were in the recipe that I actually used, were white beans, cottage cheese and plain yogurt! I did make it again a few years later and it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did? I only remember the first attempt, which was very tasty and interesting! White beans in cake still strikes me as odd. :)

    ReplyDelete