Monday, 20 January 2014

The lop-sided wife.

Our weekend was a goodie. We hung out with friends, went to church, continued watching a series on the fall of Rome... and then Sunday night Malcolm asked if I wanted to watch a chick flick. (He knows I'm not all that excited by the ubiquitous head-chopping-off-scenes in the series, so a chick flick might send me to sleep with better dreams.)

BUT then I thought of a better idea! Let's cut my hair! Remember I alluded to this plan last week?
Malcolm, the perfect blogger's-husband, offered to photo-document the process.

Now before we get started, you should know I've had a small obsession with my hair, about growing it long. As an act of rebellion against my mother who often encouraged me to cut it short, I grew it long. So while I don't spend a fortune on hair-products (I bought my own shampoo and conditioner for the first time in Germany this month... I've just been sharing with Malcolm since June.), and I don't always brush it every day (I'm not the only one, am I?), I do take care not to let anybody chop off too much. Until last May, when I finally went the shortest in a long time and actually kind of liked it.

This also put an end to my notion that long hair=pretty hair, and I realised it looks okay shorter too. (probably more sophisicated?) Which made me brave. Also, I realise now that I was wearing the same dress on the day of my last hair cut. Fate, I tell you.

So... onwards!

A before photo...
hair cut at home

I then trimmed the edges and got quite excited at the progress. (can we also ignore the ikea-not-hair-scissors, I know I should have really sharp ones. But if this turns out terribly and I never use them again, why buy scissors especially?)

hair cut at home

Then came the big step... following my pinterest instructions, I brushed my hair into a unicorn-tail to get "long layers". I wasn't sure how much to cut off, seeing as I wanted to keep the length but also trim the layers from my last cut. Plus, I think layers are pretty. So, in the name of adventure and scientific-experimentation, we decided (yes, Malcolm is included here), to cut quite a bit off so we could actually see the difference... and, as Malcolm pointed out quite correctly, it'll grow back.
So I snipped off about 10cm, and then thought "was this a dumb idea?"

hair cut at home

I took out the unicorn-tail, and was actually quite pleased with the result... nothing too drastic at all! 

Except... the fringey-part of it was awfully blunt and was a really weird layer that just didn't blend. 
So, without thinking, I grabbed the scissors and, in a scene that can only compare to this, fixed it myself while Malcolm watched in horror. 
Okay, I didn't actually do as much damage as Marshall in the clip, but I didn't really know how to fix it and it's still much the same. 
I think it's probably most noticeable because I part my hair to the side, as with a middle parting it isn't as profound. Fortunately, my usual hair-style involves the offending bits of hair clipped back anyway, so I'm not too heart-broken, just wiser. 

hair cut at home

The after photo isn't all that different... my hair looks a little shinier and healthier, but that might be because it's actually brushed ;)

At the end of it all, after Malcolm assuring me it isn't hideous, I asked him if he's sure he doesn't mind having a lop-sided wife, and he assured me he did not. Strangely, I then found him Google image searching "lopsided wife", and the images that came up certainly made me feel better. And a spoonful of Nutella helped too. 

16 comments:

  1. I don't think you did a bad job at all! I was worried until I scrolled to the end but I think it looks good, especially with the fringe back, super pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! I definitely prefer it with the fringe back, can't stand hair in my eyes!

      Delete
  2. ah, w hat a fun adventure - i think it looks great (and definitely more memorable than a film, even though you should definitely see frozen!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun, glad I wasn't alone to do it! I shall add frozen to my ever-growing list - I've missed SO many movies since moving here just because of the inconvenience of getting them.

      Delete
  3. I think it looks great! I think you would look super cute with a bob too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had a bob from when I was about 8-13 and then started growing it... it really did coincide with the usual rebellious age ;)

      Delete
  4. I think it looks great pulled back. You are so brave to have cut your hair all on your own!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was feeling pretty brave - not always a good thing though ;)

      Delete
  5. My hair was so short as a little girl that people would tell my mom 'aw you have such a cute little boy' WHILE I WAS WEARING A DRESS! So yeah, I can relate with 'not wanting short hair' ever.
    Once in first year my roommate and I didn't feel like studying, so we each made two braids and cut off a solid amount... we heard somewhere that doing that gives you layers, well, all I can say is that I had to wear my hair up until it grew out a bit, not the end of the world.
    You, however, look pretty in before and after, so I think you win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Haha, strange to think that people associate girls more with long hair than with dresses. Especially as a kid, lots have shorter hair - can't be fun cutting prestick and gum and knots out of whiney toddlers hair just cuz they're a girl!
      That was really brave - isn't it amazing what one will do when the other option is studying?? ;)

      Delete
  6. I always cut my own hair and after a few times you get a knack for it! To take away the blunt edges you want to cut up into the hair hmmm well it is hard to describe this is a good video to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHBrCLG-mVU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is SUCH a good tutorial - definitely should have done more research and I might have followed this one instead... certainly better cutting it in different sections and not all at once. And the vertical scissors method thing would also make a big difference. My scissors were battling to do that though - the hair would just slide out. Clearly I need sharper scissors, which I might buy now that I know it's not impossible :D

      Delete
  7. Well, you were really close to the ideal strategy....the "unicorn ponytail" definitely has the right idea for getting layers, but what I would do is just hold all of the hair straight up (without an actual ponytail) so that you don't end up with any weird layers/angles from pulling the hair forward...however...you probably don't have impossibly long arms... :P You could get Malcom to make the actual cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of that... I LOVED the hairdresser I used to go to - she was the only one I trusted and I really tried very hard to memorise exactly what she would do. But she'd pull so many different sections up and to the side and snip tiny bits here and there that I'd lose track and give up. I think I might employ Malcolm next time as more than photographer and hair-brusher ;)

      Delete
  8. I used to cut my hair during my early college years! I just watched what they did in the salon the last few times I had gone. Only once did I cut it to where it looked weird and I couldn't fix it, so I just went and had it cut again the next day.

    I think it looks fine! Hair doesn't have to be symmetrical these days anyway! It's also scary to get your hair cut in another country. Maybe Germany isn't so different, but after seeing a few of my classmates get haircuts in China, I refused to go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried watching what the hairdresser would do, but she'd pull the hair in so many directions and snip away that I'd lose track ;) fortunately there are some great tutorials on youtube!
    And you're right, I consoled myself with google images of really badly lopsided hair, and noticed how trendy it was. I'm quite glad though that after a few days it already looks more natural and blended together :)

    ReplyDelete