Tuesday, 14 January 2014

On my mind.

Just a few things that have been on my mind lately...


  • Facebook still advertises South African things to me. Like Nandos. *sigh*. This makes me dream of readily available fudge (ie. that I don't have to slave over myself). And Ouma rusks. Actually any rusks. And Wedgewood's Angel biscuits and nougat. And popcorn that I can make freshly at home, not the microwave stuff. And Ghostpops, sweet chilli Dorritos, Niknaks. And Chocbits and Vanilla Mmmilk. And various kinds of chocolate that isn't around here (Tempo!). 



  • I miss English: going out, opening my mouth and allowing my tongue to be free. On the other hand, I am getting better at German though, I think.



  • I'm excited for friends of ours who are expecting a baby! So, when Malcolm found himself holding this sweet little one, we got to see how a baby looks on us. Personally, I think we look far too excited and she looks way too cool for us. I think we'll just wait. (Thank you, Nicole and Hans-Markus, for taking the photo for us to see)



  • A flight for Malcolm and I to South Africa and back is about 1500euros. Yikes. We're saving though and hoping to visit. Though we're also hoping to see a bit more of Germany, too. Venice is also a dream.



  • I'm hoping to start baking a little more. Between baking flops and uncertain electricity costs, I have hardly baked much. And baking makes me happy and I miss it... so I'm determined to start again. Hence my Pinterest board. I'm also really excited to bake Malcolm's birthday cake, which is 3 months away, so fortunately we have Valentines Day and our Wedding Anniversary before then to look forward to. 



  • I'm excited that one blank white wall had been conquered. It warms it up and I love seeing photos of people I love. Also, we finished the heart collage with a part of 1 John 4:18, "Perfect love drives out fear" written beneath it. It's good to remember, God's love for us makes us not need to be afraid. The verse in entirety is amazing too. 



  • I went back to ballet last night after a month of Christmas food and no dancing. SO glad I've been stretching and walking a little so it actually wasn't too hectic and I enjoyed it. 

And finally... 


  • I'm hoping that it either snows or gets warm. This in between grey and miserable weather is back. 

Hope everybody is having a good week so far!

22 comments:

  1. Ahh what kind of popcorn do you want? We can buy small bags of loose kernel popcorn in Sweden that we make on the stove is that what you are thinking of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly that kind! We have some that my mum sent over, but I know it exists in Germany too... just apparently not in our town. Malcolm might need to go to a neighbouring town to buy some ;)

      Delete
  2. What a cute baby and she's smiling, you're naturals! ; )

    Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the sweetest, and her and her sister are the smiley-est babies I know!

      Delete
  3. I agree with Louisa--total naturals! And I also wish it would just be sunny or snow--the nasty gray melt and slush is not doing winter any favors :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she'll smile for anybody, she's that sweet :)
      Fortunately we don't even have slush, which makes me happy... :)

      Delete
  4. I think you guys look great with the baby... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks. We look a little too excited because we were quite surprised she didn't cry ;)

      Delete
  5. So cute - you and the baby, but I'm glad you can give her back. I'm still to young to sleep next to a grandpa! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite glad we can give her back too, as cute as she is!

      Delete
  6. I wish I missed English, I speak it ALL the time. Just find your nearest Irish Pub ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found an Irish pub here, strangely! But fortunately most Germans seem to speak enough English that if I need to I can switch if I have to.

      Delete
  7. I love the photos in the shape of a heart!! So beautiful! And very creative! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was fun and frustrating to make!

      Delete
  8. Haha, how sad about Nandos ads! They're just so. good.

    Baby looks pretty good on you guys, but I'm not rushing you...because I know from experience that it gets annoying when people do that...and we've only been married for 8 months! lol

    Again...I LOVE your frame! It turned out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't realise how much I'd miss Nandos, especially since we rarely went there.
      And thank you - babies are so cute but just not for us right now!

      Delete
  9. I know how it feels to want to open your mouth and speak freely and.. well.. not be able to. funny how traveling shows you how simply speaking can be such a pleasure, huh? but, in other news - your wall of art looks absolutely lovely, and it's good to know your back to ballet :) hopefully the weather just turns for you now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has made me realise what a pleasure it is to speak freely, and have greater empathy for people living and growing up in a language not their own.
      And thanks, we're all holding thumbs for the weather now :)

      Delete
  10. Oh, this grey miserable weather this time of the year in Germany is the worst, isn't it? Nothing fun about that! But once the sun comes out again, it will all be worth it! :) That picture of you and Malcolm and the baby is adorable - you both smile so big! But she (I hope that's right! ;) ) has such a mischievous expression going on! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grey really is quite uninspiring! Definitely looking forward to Spring!
      And you're right, we have such giant smiles... I think we look far too giddy over her while she's like, "hm, you think you're so cool, huh?"

      Delete
  11. I completely agree about the weather here in Germanhy. These clouds are making me cranky!

    ReplyDelete