Friday, 17 January 2014

Discoveries Lately

I feel like I've learned a lot lately, discovered some interesting things. Some of these things excite me so much I want to share them with you... 

1. Net curtains
If I'm an ailing old woman one day with terribly bad knees, I won't blame ballet. I won't even blame Marburg's merciless hills. Rather, I'd blame all the time I spend kneeling on the floor with the laptop on the couch. Why? Because we live on the ground floor and people constantly walk past - with all the different nationalities that live here it's like the whole world is passing me by. Now I love that friends can stop by and say hullo, but I get so distracted by trying not to make eye contact with anybody else. That is, until we found net curtains discarded by somebody. Washed and hung up, I'm back at the desk!
I'm not sure I love how they look, but they might save me some knee trouble.

2. How to cut hair 
I happened to be on pinterest and came across "5 DIY haircuts to try today!" I doubt I'll try all of them in just one day, but I'm pretty keen to try at least one. I am not prepared to pay so much for somebody to cut my hair... though if this goes wrong I might eat my words.

3. How to get change! 
I've never particularly enjoyed laundry. I've often contemplated which step in the process I dislike the most... sorting, loading, unloading, hanging, taking it down, ironing or folding. Ironing has been removed from the problem since it's winter and nobody sees if Malcolm's shirts are wrinkly or not. And we have no ironing board and I quite like it that way. BUT what I have decided my least favourite part of it all is, is the getting 3x50c coins. It takes ages to collect, and I'm never entirely sure how to ask a till-person if I can get change for a couple euros. Hence my excitement at discovering that one can get change from a machine at the library. No human interaction necessary!

and finally... 

4. The potential in 36 hours. 
Malcolm and I have been dreaming of travelling lately. We've been looking at bus lines and train lines and where to go and how much it costs. (bearing in mind we want to visit Koln when my parents visit and may need to go to either Berlin or Munich to vote sometime between April and June). But anyway, we were fiddling around on Google maps and discovered that IF we had a car, we could visit the Swarzwald, Vienna, Venice, Rome, Monaco, Marseille and Barcelona in a 36 hour drive! How cool (and unrealistic!) is that?!?


Hope that everybody has a great weekend and that you discover something wonderful, albeit small! :)

16 comments:

  1. I trim my own hair every 4-6 weeks! : ) Natural lighting, a good mirror, comb and scissors and take the minimum amount off, you should be fine. I refuse to pay someone £25-30 for half an inch off the ends.

    Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is expensive! Although finding a hairdresser who will cut only half an inch off is a whole other story... I've been devastated by how much they cut off when asking for a trim!

      Delete
  2. :) I cut my own hair, though in my case it's a matter of both not wanting to spend the money and not trusting other people to do a better job than I do. :P Though--it's much easier with curly hair than straight--I'm not sure I'd be brave enough if I had straight hair because it shows mistakes more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess you know your hair better than anybody else! I think curley hair probably does hide mistakes more, though I figure at least with long hair there's more hair left over if it needs to be fixed ;) which is why I wouldn't dream of cutting Malcolm's hair.

      Delete
  3. The coin laundry drove me crazy too! In the end, I just got rolls at the bank that would last me a couple months, but I really hated having to do it. Human interaction take so much courage sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking I might start doing the same. The library works for now, but I'll start looking suspicious if I'm only ever there for change, and I'll have to start taking out books too ;)

      Delete
  4. Isn't amazing how much you can do in 36 hours. While I was studying abroad in Madrid, we took so many weekend trips, and it was great fun!
    http://liveitinerantly.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an exciting thought! I would love to have a car for a month and just drive around Europe....

      Delete
  5. I hope you get to go on some awesome adventures in the near future! :-) And I would love to see a DIY haircut... I just don't know if I'd be brave enough to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too... we're planning and saving and praying that we can :) I'm not sure if I'd recommend a DIY haircut or not... but, as they say, it grows back ;) :)

      Delete
  6. ah, we should be pinterest friends! i've been wanting to try and cut my own hair for a long time - i hate how long it takes to make an appointment, and i rarely like what they to do it :/

    http://www.pinterest.com/jenniferprod/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just started following you there! :)

      Delete
  7. Just checking whether this will go through!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Erica and Malcolm.

    It has taken me so long to be able to post again but I have been keeping up with all your news! Glad you had a good Christmas and wishing both of you all the best for 2014. We spent this last weekend at Umfolozi Game Reserve from Friday to Sunday for my godson's 21st and had the most awesome, awesome weekend although I have to say it was incredibly hot and humid. We saw 4 of the Big Five, only missing out on the leopard.

    Now we're starting to save up to go overseas next year. We had thought of central Europe or possibly the Far East but have finally decided to take a 12 or 13 day boat cruise up the river from Moscow to St. Petersburg. I know we're only at the beginning or 2014 but then again January het amper sy dinges gesien al!

    Well guys salani kahle and I'll try to write again more often now.

    Best wishes
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ian :D So great to hear from you again!
      I was so jealous seeing your photos on Facebook, I have spent so much time at Hluhluwe/Umfolozi Game Reserve and really enjoy going. I don't think I've ever seen 4 out of 5 in one visit though! how exciting! And the leopards are usually the most elusive. I heard that it's been really humid lately... but winter will be on it's way soon and then you'll all dry out again ;)
      Your trip next year sounds SO amazing! Unfortunately we get sort of stuck here because although we're in Europe, on a student's funding we can't travel much. Still working on finding all the cheaper ways to get around. But Moscow and St Petersburg! They're definitely on my list of places I want to see!
      Hope you're having a great week so far! :D

      Delete
  9. I love your 36 hour road trip daydream! What a great way to spend an evening together.

    ReplyDelete