Friday, 10 January 2014

A Pinterest Wife?

We're ten days in to the new year, so is it still new?
I still have no resolutions, and Malcolm's only one seems to be to use his Facebook account. But, it's been a pretty good start. The start of the new year is extra-special these days since it was on New Year's Day that Malcolm proposed to me.


This last week Malcolm went back to his research, and things seem to be going okay there. Though he always comes home smelling like chemicals and I often wonder how good that is for him. I guess it depends on what he's working with. 

So since I'm hoping to get a job this year and will then have less free time, I decided to get creative this last week and actually DO some of the things I've pinned on Pinterest. I started with a heart-shaped collage inspired by the one that Jennifer made. 

After sorting through many, many photos of Malcolm and I together since 2010, we eventually chose some to use, which I then got printed. I also bought a 50x70cm glass frame for it to go in (I was originally going to use canvas but wanted the photos protected), and grey cardboard as a backing. 

I soon realised that I had a LOT of photos and that it was going to be tricky to fit them all into the heart, let alone into the frame.

valentines love craft

Each photo was 7x5cm - I used picmonkey to collage two photos together onto one 10x15cm print and then cut them apart. But to make them fit and easier to work with, I cut each photo again into a square. The floor looked like a photo-massacre-crime scene.
I also cut a larger photo into a heart shape and mounted it on some grey cardboard as a sort of focal point. I then arranged them on a heart I'd cut out of newspaper.

DIY wall hang picture

I then had to shift all the photos off the heart so that I could trace it onto the grey backing paper. Then started the really tedious part of replacing and presticking (yes, I found prestick!) back into place on the paper. I could then slowly trim the photos and glue them into place. So scary. I ended up using all but 9 of the photos.

It worked out quite well though and I'm quite happy with it. However, my "perfect pinterest wife" status was put in jeopardy because...
1. I had no gourmet supper ready for Malcolm when he got home (as my pinterest board might suggest), in fact, I had nothing ready.
...and...
2. I then cracked the glass of the frame (because I prefer working on the carpet than the table but needed a harder surface while glueing... so stupid.).

Anyway... here's how it turned out, hanging skew in a half-glass-frame and all ;)

DIY wall hang picture photos

I still need to think of something to write in the blank space at the bottom... not sure just what yet. But, I cannot wait to buy a new frame, finish it off, and get it on that big blank white wall! The blank walls are driving me nuts especially since all the Christmas decor is gone and especially since my living spaces have usually been quite colourful...

exhibit A: my calender in 2010

exhibit B: my room in 2010/2011



At least the sun is shining though. (YES!)

Oh, and... it's thanks to our super-cool wedding guests that I could make this... yep, we still have wedding money left, and I used some of it to print the photos :) (don't worry, the broken frame comes from the "personal spending money" part of our budget).

So, that was my attempt at being a Pinterest Wife... not sure how successful it was, but I do enjoy making pretty things.

Anyway, wishing you all a super happy weekend! 

20 comments:

  1. I love your 'pinterest' style projects. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that collage of pictures. Such wonderful memories are held there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... I'm so glad to have them all printed out :D

      Delete
  3. Your heart collage is super cute...I bet that took a lot of work to cut them all out just right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was... I was SO tempted to just leave it for Malcolm to do ;)

      Delete
  4. such a sweet collage - i think the best part of making it is deciding which pictures to use, and then sort of reliving all those memories. jon and i love looking at it - always makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! It was fun looking through all the pictures and choosing them, and now seeing them all the time makes me feel so blessed :)

      Delete
  5. What a cute idea! Don't worry, I totally broke the glass on my foreign coin collage project ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and a foreign coin collage sounds great too! I'm sure you have PLENTY foreign coins by now!

      Delete
  6. I like your method of making your walls covered instead of all empty and blank--white empty walls aren't much fun. I know I love our wall of pictures and I imagine I'll do some version of it no matter where we move to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been putting it off because I wasn't sure if the walls would crumble with nails (and I just imagined the whole building crumbling down because of us down here breaking our wall down!), but I'm so glad it's brightened up now :D

      Delete
  7. That is very cute and although not perfect, very meaningful! I hope you find more projects to cover up those blank walls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I think it's the personal touches and slip-ups that add to the meaning :)

      Delete
  8. It is really cute and maybe you could use a verse you had at your wedding we used one from Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We considered that, and I love that one in Ruth about "where you go, I'll go", which fits well with the idea of all our adventures together... But we don't have a specific verse from our wedding. Anyway, pretty happy with the verse we chose from 1 John :)

      Delete
  9. I was proposed to on New Years Day too :) Snap. You've inspired me, I need to get printing on our photos! By the way, we'll have 11 hours in Frankfurt on our way to South Africa, I know you guys don't live there any more and I can't leave the international section of the airport anyway (boo Saffa passports!) Just wanted to share that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly a great way to start a year off!
      I'm SO glad we printed the photos... much better because I don't often look through all the digital photo folders.
      So bleak that you can't get out the international section - I totally would've met you there, it's only an hour away!

      Delete
  10. THIS IS SOOOOOO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A noteworthy-Pintrest accomplishment! :D

    ReplyDelete