Friday, 31 January 2014

A common question

So, what're you doing here?
That's how countless of my conversations start here.
My response generally varies between "being a house-wife", "being a Wohnung-Frau", "supporting my husband", "looking for work", "absolutely nothing", "on an extended holiday", "staying at home", "exploring Marburg", and sometimes "enjoying my free time". 
It depends on my mood, really.

 

Malcolm's conversations are often a little more interesting. He gets to tell people he's doing his doctorate in Inorganic Chemistry, which usually gets a rather impressed response. The response is a lot better than the year before last when he could tell people he was making drugs. 
(He really was, but they were anti-cancer drugs)


Then he gets asked one of the following two questions a variation of "why Marburg/Germany"?

The response is quite simple, until you try explain it awkwardly in German. 
"A professor at my previous university was the supervisor of my current supervisor when my current supervisor was a student in South Africa. And he does the work that I'm interested in, which isn't done in South Africa."
Studying in Germany has been a long-standing dream of Malcolm's which somehow fell into his heart.
Let's say, it was God who laid it there and who leads us on this adventure.

However, another question that I wish more people would ask, is
Why is Malcolm doing a doctorate at all?
Isn't 7 years of studying enough? Is it because he's just a genius? Is it because he wants to jump up when somebody shouts "is there a doctor on this flight?"?  Is it to become rich? Is it because he's afraid of the real world? (I wouldn't blame him - last time Malcolm was in the 'real world' and working he was dealing with stinky waste water and anaerobic sludge.)
None of the above.

Thursday night we went to a talk on Faith and Science, which was very well attended and really interesting to listen to, as various professors spoke about their research and how they see God in their studies and lives. It was great to see them stand up for what they believe in, and they handled some challenging situations in the seminar. But, it reminded me how important Malcolm's work is.

We both believe in God. Not only do we believe in god or some sort of power that created the world, but we believe in the God of the Bible. We see evidence for the authenticity of the Bible and an all-knowing, all-powerful God wherever we look, and the more we look, the more evidence we see. 

I look forward to the day where I get to stand behind my husband as he stands for what he believes in, in an area of study where he will be criticised for it. He's studying to not only gain deeper understanding in his field, and develop some cool technology which will potentially help many people, but to have an influence and have the opportunity to stand up for Christ in an arena where not all will. I pray often that Malcolm will have the grace, the love and the courage to do what he feels called to. 

The debate on creation versus evolution can be a complicated one, and I avoided it for a long time, believing that I didn't understand enough to form an opinion of my own. But the question on whether you exist because people were created or evolved, and your stance on whether the Bible is true or not, and to what degree, has consequences and far-reaching effects into many aspects of your life and how you understand things. 

"But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened" But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give a reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behaviour in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil". [1 Peter 3:14-17] 

"Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ." [Ephesians 4:14-15] 

If you're curious about intelligent design and where we get our evidence for it, or are interested in forming your own opinion on the creation vs evolution debate and need the evidence contrasting that of evolution, go ahead and check out this site.

7 comments:

  1. I often get asked what I am doing and why we are where we are and I it does get tiring and oddly if you ask the same questions back it seems rude! ahhhh people sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very wise young woman, thank God you're here in Marburg! Your value comes from God nit from society who tells us that wie are only valuable if we have a regular income at our bank account. You know what? At this very moment, in this tiny town, at the Richtsberg, you are collecting heavenly treasures. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys have an awesome answer to the "why" question--even if many folks don't agree. Right now, sometimes I think about the plans and choices for our future that Angel and I are making now, and think to myself--in the eyes of the world, this is so stupid. But our reasoning and logic isn't the same as the rest of the world's.
    (And I occasionally toy with the idea of getting my PhD. (it would be in some area of linguistics). But then I decide I'm too old or it's too expensive. Tell Malcolm he's a tough one for pursuing it through the hard stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done to Malcolm for persevering!

    Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an awesome post!!! I love hearing why Malcolm is doing what he's doing and how he's glorifying God in the process! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this :) It takes a strong man to stand up for what he believes in in a hostile field like that. And regarding the housewife thing-every time I feel down about my situation I remember that God loves what the world sneers at. I might not get medals for my work at home, but my work has so much value. Loving my husband and making my house a home is very meaningful work

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome! What a cool, and wonderful unique opportunity the Lord has placed on His heart, and yours!

    ReplyDelete