Monday, 9 December 2013

Recapping: where have I been?

Actually, everything has been quite normal, but somehow I just haven't got round to posting for a little while. you see, even though I am not working right now, and volunteer for just a few hours per week, my time just disappears. I'm going to blame the buses. Seriously, today I needed to pick something up from a place about 5km away. It took a little over an hour and a half to get there and back with the bus. Faster than walking, but I do miss my car ever so much.

Anyway, Highlights... On Friday was St Nicholas' day. It was also the day that Nelson Mandela died, but that's another post, I guess.
For us, Friday was pretty magical. We woke up to snow covering everything - beautiful! I really do think it was the prettiest thing I've seen! Malcolm said he could go in to varsity half an hour later, which gave us the chance to go out and enjoy the snow a bit before it melted. When we opened the front door, St Nik had been and we found chocolate and stuff left for us :D

marburg richtsberg South African in Germany

That evening we went to a friends house for a St Nik's party which was festive and fun and we met lots of people, and got even more sweets in our shoes.

Saturday morning, still feeling rather festive, we went off in search of a Christmas tree. We found one for sale from a really friendly man, and after going to look at another place and then coming back, he gave us a 5euro discount which made our day. Our first Christmas tree! Malcolm had the exciting job of shuffling it around on the bus until he got a seat with a spot next to him for the tree. The tree gave us a taste of what having a small disobedient child on a bus must be like, dirty looks from strangers included.


That evening we went to our friends, Sally and Nebras, and had supper with them. Their apartment is pretty Christmassy too! 


Sunday we went to a different church to visit, and met a South African who has been here a few years already, which was a really nice surprise! That afternoon we went to a Christmas party and I helped look after some kids, which was fun, though sometimes a little overwhelming!! 

All in all, it's feeling pretty Christmassy here! 

12 comments:

  1. that little snowman is just too cute. I've never made one before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?! We were too cold to make anything bigger!

      Delete
  2. I giggled at the idea of having a Christmas tree on the bush being similar to having a rambunctious child on the bus...I can definitely imagine that being the case! And buses...oh man, the bus system in our town in Malaysia was so haphazard when I was growing up...sometimes we'd wait at the bus stop for an hour or more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was like a child - I'm not sure I'm prepared for children here, I think I'd rather have them hidden behind tinted glass if they're being naughty ;) Fortunately the buses are generally pretty good, but they take a reeeeeally round-about route so it takes so long. That wait at the busstop sounds painful!

      Delete
  3. I love your snow pics, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like such a lovely weekend - st nik celebrations are always such a fun way to start getting in the christmas spirit :) and the buses are so slow in the winter - it's the worst!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely got me into a Christmassy mood, and it's a fun celebration we've never had before :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like it was a wonderful, Christmas-y weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! December is just going too fast though!!

      Delete
  6. Haha I love imagining you two with the Christmas tree on the bus! So funny! Like your snowman too! :)

    That last photo of you two is wonderful and so Christmasy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt bad for leaving Malcolm to deal with the tree on his own, but there was no space for me to stand by him, and he was fine :) I wanted to build a bigger snow man but my hands were too cold! And thanks, that was like the 20th photo we took trying to get the tree in the shot ;)

      Delete