Wednesday, 18 December 2013

Cosy-ing up for Christmas

Christmas is only 6 sleeps away! That was a shock to me when I wanted to go grocery shopping and was drawing up a meal plan when I suddenly realised that my shopping needed to include Christmas lunch. I've been looking forward to it so long that the thought that it's nearly here also makes me sad that it's nearly over. (I'm an optimist like that). 

So no family will be visiting us, and some of you may be thinking "aww, poor Mally and Erica, alone and cold in Germany for Christmas". Not so! We will be going somewhere on Christmas eve for dinner and will celebrate with others, AND our heating has just been fixed (two days of no hot water... brain freeze was taken to a new level when I washed my hair). 
Plus, our apartment is looking a lot happier than when we first moved in. But, seeing as the decorations will soon need to come down, I thought I'd eternalise them here on our blog. So, without further a-do, I present to you, our cosy-Christmas decor.

DIY star garland crochet
Our white walls look a lot happier with red stars strung up.
(the strings even look like a smiley face!)

DIY star garland crochet
The stars look more like flowers, but by the time I realised how I could possibly improve the pattern, I'd already made 19. 

advents candles DIY pine cone wood
So we don't have an advent's kranz, but we found some small planks, and somebody gave me pine cones from her garden, we bought some wood glue and some candles and tada!
(and yes, I move some pine cones away from the flame when it's lit!) 

snowflakes crochet
It's now permanently snowing (at least in the lounge...) 


DIY crochet snowflakes


 DIY wreath ribbon pine cone leaves
And, of course, the wreath that Malcolm made with branches and leaves we found. 
Tomorrow will hopefully launch my cookie-baking and then it'll be cosy AND taste like Christmas. 
So, who's flying over? :D

18 comments:

  1. I love the pine cones with the candles, so pretty and your snowflake is great! : ) Hope you have a lovely Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The pattern for the snow flake was so great to follow on youtube, a really easy tutorial :D

      Delete
  2. But pine cones on fire could be exciting! (well, considering that the box is wooden, too, probably too much excitement! I think your place definitely looks festive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same... especially since it would give us a chance to test the fire detectors. Though apparently they just beep and don't do anything to extinguish it. And running to fetch the fire hose or extinguisher is just so much energy for a quiet evening at home. ;)

      Delete
  3. Awww... Your decor is wonderful! I love it!!! And I LOVE your optomistic attitude about not being with family for Christmas. This is our first year not with family also and I'm a little bummed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is so different not being with family - but we all survived :D

      Delete
  4. I love the handmade stars! What a sweet touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, so cozy. looking very happy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to have some warmth and festive decor in the house :)

      Delete
  6. such a happy post :) we're twin spirits when it comes to being sad about a happy event passing before it even passes... just so nice to have these things to look forward to :) perhaps you can keep the snow up even after christmas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it terrible? Like I really look forward to my parents visiting, but am sad already that I'll have to say goodbye again.
      We took the decor down last night, and the snowflakes are packed away for next year, now hopefully we can get some real snow - we haven't had any since early December :(

      Delete
  7. I can't believe Christmas is almost there! :D I'm glad you found someone to celebrate with and that your hot water got fixed again - that really doesn't sound like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hot water being off was dreadful, didn't realise how much I rely on it and how much more comfortable it makes life!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks :) They were fun to make!

      Delete
  9. Erica, I am in LOVE with your crochet garland! I might need to spend my weekend making some :) Isn't decorating for Christmas the best? Also, it totally surprised me to see how close we are--December has just FLOWN by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was the easiest way to hang so many stars! I've really enjoyed making decorations this year :)

      Delete