Friday, 1 November 2013

Week recap

This morning I woke up with that song "Friday I'm in Love" by The Cure in my head, I did a sort of CanCan in bed before getting up. Why? You'll see!

So, as I said on Monday, I've been thinking about careers this week, what I actually want to do.
I remembered why I initially enjoyed dancing - it was a challenge and a sort of spiritual thing to me; something that I felt I sucked at that I needed to rely on God for. Shona would stop and pray with me in the middle of class when I was struggling. Class was often a prayer of "God, I need you". It didn't come all that naturally, and I do not have the ideal or typical dancer's body. Fortunately I inherited my mum's ligaments and starting at 14 was able to stretch and get pretty supple. Sometimes (okay, EVERY time I did that darn RAD Adv 2 ronds de jambe exercise) I asked myself why I was doing it. But I loved it. When I was teaching a class it wasn't always fun, but it left me fulfilled. And I think that's more important because life won't always be fun, and enjoying one's occupation isn't, in my opinion, as important as getting some fulfillment from it. So. Loooong explanation over, I want to teach ballet. That means first getting myself back into it and getting affiliated to a school. I haven't been to a new school since 2008 and was pretty comfortable there for 5.5years, and now I'm suddenly feeling some a lot of pressure! Which leads me to the rest of my week: a ridiculous (in my opinion) amount of ab-work outs and leg exercises. While I haven't miraculously lost 5kgs this week, I do feel stronger, and, with the help of God (who makes it possible) I will go to class on Monday, and work towards my dream. I'm patient, but determined. And I'm incredibly blessed with Malcolm who supports me completely - it was him that insisted that we cut costs elsewhere to pay for a class twice a week. I'm SO excited and SO nervous. Hence the morning CanCan.

So other than that, the week wasn't all that busy. On Tuesday afternoon I went to the homework club, and was so glad I could help some girls with their English and French homework. It was also great to meet more people from around here, and I'm trying really hard to learn names. That night we went to the SMD's Bible study again. We found ourselves in a group where only the leader was German and the rest of us were 2nd language speakers, which made it a rather interesting discussion which felt like a game of charades and fill in the blanks. But despite it taking ages to communicate what seems like a simple idea, it was a good time. We also finally met the other couple in our building who we keep getting told about.

They invited us on Wednesday to their apartment for a Reformation Day celebration. We hung out there and met some of their friends, had supper together, and then watched the movie Luther. It makes me so sad that Reformation Day is on the same day as Halloween, because Halloween seems to get a whole lot more attention, both positive and negative, than Reformation day - a day that celebrates one of the most significant events in history.

Our Halloween evening was rather quiet - Malcolm had been at a guest lecture at the physics department until quite late, while I hid out at home. Hiding? Yes. In SA Halloween isn't as big as most places, and though it isn't hugely celebrated here, I did hear that some kids here go trick or treating and throw eggs and stuff if they don't get sweets or aren't happy with them. Not wanting to be a victim, I pretended not to be home. When Malcolm got back we continued the hideout after he reported seeing a scary-looking kid in the lobby. Our door-bell didn't ring but we did hear some "whoooo-ing" in the corridors. (Is it weird that I'm still quite excited to have a door-bell? I think it's so cool, even though the buzzing noise it makes always startles me.

This morning we made attempt number 2 at changing my surname here, with no success. We still don't have our full marriage certificate, though mum is back home fighting hard for our cause. So until we have that, I can't do anything about it. It's no big deal, but it would be nice to finally get an ID and to change bank accounts, medical stuff, registration, electricity bills, library details, etc etc etc to Bartlett.

So our weekend shall involve Malcolm working on a presentation he needs to give about his masters work, and we'll see what else that's fun comes up!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!!! :D

12 comments:

  1. A Bible study in a 2nd language...hmmm...someday I hope to get to that point in Mandarin or Spanish, but I know I'm not there yet. I can read the Bible in Spanish and understand it fairly well (combination of being familiar with the English text plus formal Spanish tends to look more like English than spoken Spanish), but actually discussing it would be hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is a challenge, and while reading it is okay, expressing such abstract or subtleties is pretty tricky!

      Delete
  2. bummer about the name hope that gets fixed soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about your dancing! I can't wait to see what God does with that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. most happy news!! i had a gut feeling that you were going to go back to ballet - you talk about it such passion. good luck with all the training -- i'm excited to hear the updates :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's pretty transparent ;)

      Delete
  5. As always, love hearing about your adventures! Holding you in prayer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, love hearing about your adventures! Holding you in prayer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why it published that TWICE . . . maybe because I REALLY enjoy reading your blog :)

      Delete
    2. Haha... ah glitchy technology can always be blamed. Thanks!

      Delete