Friday, 22 November 2013

Week recap: snivells and snow

Yep, it's been a snivelly week. Since Tuesday morning when I woke up with a sore throat, I have come to experience how disgusting one feels on a bus blowing ones nose and feeling like the kid that nobody likes. I understand why people wore face masks during the SARS thing. I feel like people conspire not to get too close to me. Fortuantely, the social awkwardness was the worst part and I didn't feel too bad, and I'm getting better!

So. Our lives feel a lot less entertaining since moving to Marburg. I don't know if it's because there's less to see, Malcolm has less free time, or we feel less inspired to go outside the house. Probably all of the above. To those living vicariously through us here, I'm sorry but you're going to have to wait for us to thaw a bit and then maybe we;ll be adventurous again.

It was a week of dancing, shopping, Discover-kurs-ing, and nachhilfing for me, and a week of frustrating chemistry for Malcolm. It's a constant roller coaster for him when things work and then turn back to black goo (or that was the typical Master's project problem, I haven't figured out what the typical problem is on this project... yet), and then get saved only to be starting material again. etc. I do my best to sympathise and all that, but really, all I can do is pray for him because I am clueless about it all. Fortunately the creator of chemistry is much more trustworthy and reliable than me anyway ;)

On Wednesday evening I put on my big girl pants bundled up and went out with Malcolm so we could gather a few things to send home for Christmas. It was fun, and the shop is warm so it's only the bits of walking that are challenging. And warm milk and biscuits when we got home was pretty great too.

Unfortunatly, nobody is getting lego from us.
Somehow we just always land up in the toy aisle when we're shopping together. 

Warm milk and honey and Spekulaas to warm up back home. 
On Thursday we had our first bits of snow!


There was sleet in the morning (snow and rain together) which was new to us and interesting to watch.


I kept an eye out all day for snow, but eventually it got dark and I couldn't see anyway and I sort of gave up. But, when Malcolm came home at around 6, he had melting ice on his coat and told me it was snowing. I bundled up and we went outside to see it. Unfortunately the photos are terrible, but it was SO cool.



It wasn't snowing heavily, and it was so pretty and it felt so soft. We stood out in it for a little while, made sure to have our first "kissing under the falling snow" moment, and then came inside because I wasn't wearing gloves and the magic of seeing snow falling for the first time would have been lost if my fingers fell off too.

We've also been praying a lot for Malcolm's dad, and THANK YOU to all of those who've been with us in that. He's still in hospital but he's improving and we even skyped him this morning :) there've been some ups and downs with medication administered but he's in good hands and should be out next week.

Have a great weekend everybody! :)

10 comments:

  1. eek! i feel for ya in the cold weather - and it does have a way of dampening the spirits a bit.. i know. something about not feeling warm for days and weeks and months can just be a little saddening. the weather here is similar.. the low tomorrow is -15c (and we're going to a football game) wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the sun does happen to peep out it really makes my day - I didn't really realise how much I love the sun!!

      Delete
  2. Those cookies look very much like windmill cookies which are a popular treat in the Dutch community here, but I don't think yours have windmills on them. I wonder if they taste the same...
    Angel and I love walking about toy stores too! And I never feel much like going outside when it's snowy and cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! The photo isn't really clear and they have some other farm-animals on them, but some are windmills too :) There are some plain butter ones, and also spiced ones which smell like Christmas.
      I love toy shops so much, makes me want to be a kid again :)

      Delete
  3. The first falling snow is definitely a fun and magical time! Growing up, I visited my grandparents every year in Montreal for the winter and snow for a kid from Los Angeles is heaven! Sounds like you are having fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is fascinating watching it fall, especially when it's so new to us :D

      Delete
  4. Sorry you weren't feeling well this week!!!! I hope you're back to 100%! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm feeling a lot better already :)

      Delete
  5. Was this your first snow ever, or were you referring to the first snow of the year? Here we are having a major cold front and drizzle, so everything is covered in ice right - just so glad to be inside where it's warm! Sorry you've been sick! I totally know what you mean about the way people look at you when you're sick - its so awkward! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First snow ever! (sort of) I've seen snow three times - once as a young child, once when we drove past some so we hopped out the car for a few minutes, and once with Malcolm when it was snowing in the mountains close by and we drove out to see it. But that's always been on the ground already and this is the first time we've seen it actually fall, and the first time I've seen snow flakes.

      Delete