Friday, 8 November 2013

Week Recap: endorphins

The fact that the only photo I took on my camera this week was of successfully made caramel-almond sauce should not be considered as an indication of how our week was.


Monday morning I went to meet Malcolm on campus and got to see inside the Chemistry building which was pretty cool, even though the building is not pretty at all. Unfortunately, I forgot my umbrella on the bus and needed to go about the rest of the day without one. Sharing bus shelters with those who cannot smoke, text and hold their umbrella means it gets pretty smoky in there. That evening I was shivering while getting ready to go out, and I thought back to how cold I used to think I was in winter. Waiting in the rain and wind takes “cold” to a new level. I was relieved when I arrived at the studio and it was heated. The class went pretty well and even though my legs were at 45degrees most of the time, it was SO good to be back. I did not miss fondues and the adage at the barre, but the turns and the grand allegro, getting to jump and leap across the studio made me really, really happy. The teacher is sweet and fun and the other girls were welcoming. There’s something about being in the studio that felt familiar. I'm SO thankful that Malcolm pushed me; if it weren't for him telling me to work on stretching last week and go back this week, I don't think I would ever have felt ready enough to go back. But, I was fine. And the endorphins were great too.

Malcolm got his fair share of exercise and endorphins this week too, though not voluntarily. The buses have been pretty lame and come quite late or not at all, or are full. Which means he walked a few times to the bus stop which is about a km through the forest – not too bad except when it’s really cold and rainy. Not looking forward to winter!

The rest of the week wasn’t very exciting- I’ve been having some bad headaches nearly every day, but I think it might be because of dehydration – how does one drink water when it’s so cold? And I’m tired of tea...


This weekend should be interesting... it starts with dinner tonight at Malcolm’s supervisors house, then he’s going to Frankfurt to Petra tomorrow to pick up some stuff mum sent with her. Other than that, I’m thinking hibernation. ;) 

I hope that you guys in SA are surviving the heat!!! 

11 comments:

  1. Hi! Firstly, that sauce looks amazing, well done! Secondly, well done on going in to the studio. It takes a bit of courage to go somewhere new. : ) I haven't been drinking my usual amount of water either. It's hard when the water is cold and so am I!

    Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was pretty sure I'd just burn the sauce, but I was really excited that it worked!
      Drinking water is so difficult, I'm trying to get used to warm water now :(

      Delete
  2. It's so awesome to have a husband who will encourage you and give you the push you need to develop your talents even more! You're blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, he's wonderful and I'm SO grateful!

      Delete
  3. such a happy post - so glad you're back in the studio, and the sauce looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy too! I think I should have added vanilla essence or something though, because it really just was sweet!

      Delete
  4. It seems like being cold in another country is infinitely worse! You just aren't used to the way natives get warm I guess - I ran into the same problem in China with not wanting to drink water because I was so darn cold. I got worried that I would get an infection or something from not drinking enough water (because Chinese hospitals were awful) and scared myself into drinking more. It helped me to run water through a coffee maker (with no coffee) and just drink it warm. It might seem weird at first, but it'll grow on you if you are cold enough! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you just terrified me into drinking more too! When I was first in Cologne I couldn't get used to the taste of the water and only when I fainted as I stood up did I realise I NEED to drink it anyway! I think I'm just going to have to get used to drinking warm water - my gran does that and I always thought it was weird... changing my mind though!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Bah, sorry! My comments are being weird and not posting, then posting later!

      Delete
    2. No worries, I know the feeling!!!

      Delete