Thursday, 14 November 2013

Things I've learned about the cold

Since moving here, there’s been a lot to learn. Being a new wife, living in a new language and on a new continent, a total change in routine, new shops, new friends, being so far from our family. I’ve learned a lot in the past few months. I’ve learned the difference between “Ich bin langweilig” and “Mir ist langweilig”. But, in the last month, I’ve learned some things about the cold that I never knew before. Before the chorus sounds, yes, I know it’s going to get colder.

But seriously, I don’t think I’ve lived in an environment this cold before.

Here’s what I’ve learned:

-          Lip ice was invented for a purpose; my usual way of licking my lips when they’re dry makes icicles form.

-          One should wait a few hours between brushing ones teeth and going outside; as if the cold air isn’t bad enough, the minty freshness makes brain freeze a possibility.

-          Even if it’s sunny, it’s probably cold.

-          Gloves were invented for a reason... sure, it means I can’t actually feel that I’m holding Malcolm’s hand, but at least I’ll have fingers come Spring.

-          For safety reasons, scarves should be tucked into a jacket - or they may strangle you when caught on a rose bush.

-          Make sure no shopping is needed after dark – no milk is worth a walk in sub-zero temperatures.

-          Learn to love tea. Coffee alone will result in extra shaking and an inability to sleep.

-          There’s no shame in wrapping one’s face in a scarf.

-          Forget your “no brown with black” rule when getting dressed: survival is more important.

Your turn: Anything I should learn before it gets any colder? 

14 comments:

  1. haha these were great tips! survival is crucial. lol. my tips...stay in doors bake bread and drink coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oyvey! i wonder if the cold temps there are similar to minneapolis? it will be my first winter here and i'm a little bit worried about it... i always cringe when i have to cover my face :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's so frustrating because everything can be bundled up but then when my face is cold, I'm cold.

      Delete
  3. This was me exactly a few years ago! I had no concept of cold since Georgia is on the same latitude line as North Africa. I encountered my first German winter and my German friends were horrified by my outfit choices-I didn't even know you couldn't wear ballet flats in winter!! It was bad haha. Get yourself wool socks, they will make all the difference. And layer layer layer! And find a pair of decent snow boots that have a warm lining and a good tread to help you walk on ice. We warm weather girls gotta stick together! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't know that it got this cold either, but I'm slowly learning to dress myself ;) I shall start my wool-sock-hunt soon and I'll have to make a plan about slip-free shoes too... thanks! :)

      Delete
  4. Hahaha. I'm right there with you, girlie! I HATE the cold! These tips are really good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not a fan... I prefer the cold to the heat, but not in such extremes. I'm learning though :)

      Delete
  5. Haha, this post was hilarious Erica! :) I wish I could give you some pointers, but I'm sort of at a loss, too. Maybe: Don't ever go outside unless you absolutely have to or it snows? :) Oh wait, I've got something else: Spend time at the Christmas Markets! Drink delicious Mulled Wine or Kinderpunsch, then have some Crepes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it :) I'm definitely trying to stay inside more, and I'm so excited for the markets!

      Delete
  6. I think you've got a pretty good list! I always forget how necessary gloves are in winter. You'd think I'd have learned, having lived my whole life in the mitten state of the US!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I never realised how essential they are - I used to wear them only when driving in winter because my car would be so cold. NOW I keep them in my handbag :)

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you are acclimating to winter fairly rapidly. I've always lived in places like New England and Canada where the winter months make up the majority of the calendar. I highly recommend mittens/gloves that are lined with shearling. They will keep your hands warm and with the added benefit of the lanolin naturally present in shearling - the lanolin will moisturize your hands, which tend to get dried out faster in harsh winter climates. I have shearling lined gloves and slippers !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're certainly doing our best - only the toughest survive ;)
      I've heard about shearling gloves, and then saw the price and chose not to buy them. Now I've felt the cold and my hands are dry and they make sense again :D

      Delete