Tuesday, 12 November 2013

The weekend of...

There’s really nothing for me to hate about Mondays, seeing as all my days are very much the same. But, I have developed an aversion to the day because it means an early morning and, after the weekend, the day without Malcolm. But, I have a to-do list each day so that I actually get stuff done. Good weekends make it pretty hard though. 

On Friday evening we went with another PhD student and his wife from our building to Malcolm’s supervisor’s house for dinner. He picked us up and we spent the evening with Jorg and his wife and daughter. It was a really enjoyable evening – they’re very familiar with SA and PMB and it was fun chatting. The food was also really amazing... seriously. We were spoiled.

On Saturday morning we headed out and bought some Christmas decorations. A little early, maybe, but it’s been tempting for aaaaaages and we finally gave in. So, lights, candles, tinsel, baubles, and stockings. The stockings are fleece lined and malcolm’s are, strictly speaking, ‘thermohose’, but we chose practicality in this case and I’d much rather wear them than hang them on our non-existant-fire-place.


Then Malcolm went off to the train station and to Frankfurt. He met Petra there and had a whirlwind tour of a few things in the city. He also collected stuff that Mum had sent along – his suit, a fancy shmancy dress of mine, my laptop, and some treats from mum. Jelly beans, Astros, popcorn and mum’s homemade marmalade. The jelly beans are all gone and we made our first pot of popcorn... it was soooooo good. (thanks, mum!)


Saturday night after Malcolm got back we hung out having tea with the friends we made in the building, and on Sunday morning we walked to church with them... the ‘wandergruppe aus Richtsberg’. They showed us a different route to church which is longer but less muddy and the hills aren’t as steep. The afternoon we just hung out, watched youtube videos and movies, and finished the jelly beans.

So, pretty chilled weekend, and a chilly week ahead! 

10 comments:

  1. Yay Christmas decorations!! And popcorn. If I had no man to cook for I would probably live off of popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the days of popcorn for dinner! (oh the sacrifices of being married!?)

      Delete
  2. Christmas decs are always fun to buy and always put a smile on my face!

    Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're the first time we have our own decorations, which seems like a HUGE deal :D

      Delete
  3. excited to see what you do with the christmas decorations - looks like so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to be patient in putting them up otherwise by the time Christmas comes I'll be too used to them :)

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a perfect weekend to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww that's sweet! Christmas already? I'm strangely getting the itch to pull ours out too and normally I'm a wait till after my birthday till we decorate type of person lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas seems to have come so quickly this year, and with the cold weather I can't wait to warm up our apartment with Christmas coziness! :)

      Delete