Friday, 25 October 2013

Week recap: responsible adults

I feel like we've had a pretty productive and responsible week. Maybe not as productive as I'd have liked, but, well, we got stuff done. 

On Monday we headed to the bank for Malcolm to open an account. Last time we wanted to deposit money to make a payment, we had to pay 12euros. Had we had an account there, it would have cost only 6. (still a rip off, if you ask me) The frustrating thing is that we do have an account with Sparkasse, but in Koln, not here, which doesn't count because of the way the bank is organised. So, we finally got around to opening an account here. It's Malcolm's account (because he gets the student perks) but I have full access to it so we can both use it. This makes me feel very married. And very adult. 

I also felt very adult when I got very excited over bread. We had a voucher for a free loaf of bread, and I could choose any one I wanted, so I got one with cashews on top and was just so delicious! (And it was free, when it's usually 4.50?!?) 


I felt a little less like an adult when, on Friday night, I mentioned to Malcolm that I'd seen a mattress outside our building, which could be useful. We went out and the mattress was still there. I'm pretty sure we're allowed to take stuff, as I think it's the "Sperrmull" pile. It was a little wet, but it's the same as our couch's mattress. So we brought it in, feeling kinda sneaky, and now that it's dried and cleaned off, we're open for at least two visitors! 
We also accumulated two more chairs... one dining room chair (again from the Sperrmull) which means we can now have 2 people come over for dinner (I don't know why the flat came with only 3 chairs), and one comfy chair that I bought from a guy upstairs. I love that where it's positioned I get natural light shining onto whatever book I'm reading. 


On Tuesday we headed to the International HausKreis that we'd been invited to. We arrived there a little early (Because one never knows when a bus decides not to arrive), and met a few people. By the time it started, there were 30 of us all together! We had supper and then divided into smaller groups for a Bible study based on the gospel of John. It was really cool being with the mix of Germans and Internationals, and inspiring too, seeing how well many of the international students can speak such good German! After the Bible study we just hung out a while longer chatting and getting to know people. We were introduced to a couple from Syria who live in our building and it was nice to meet them - it's hard to make friends just passing in corridors, especially seeing as we don't have many corridors to go through to get to our door! 

On Wednesday, our 7th month of marriage celebrations involved trying to figure out Malcolm's train tickets. Again, aren't we terribly adult and responsible? The itinerary that had been printed showed different trains to those on his ticket, so we needed to figure out which trains to take, which wasn't as simple as it might seem because Malcolm is only allowed for free on RE and RB trains up to a certain point, and the tickets he had involved a very  round-about route. Eventually, when it was all figured out, he needed to catch the 05:49 train, which meant we needed the 04:55 bus.


 I went with him and we got there in good time, enough to buy a coffee to drink on the platform. Then, Malcolm was off! 


I couldn't find the bus-stop going in the other direction, and seeing as there were quite a few people walking around, I decided to walk. I probably walked only 3 km, but it was beautiful in the early morning (6am) darkness. 




(Disclaimer to parents: I was attentive to my surroundings at all times and stayed in well-lit areas, avoiding ally-ways and sometimes walking on the road to avoid criminal-hiding places. I stuck to the bus-route so there were often buses driving past and I could have caught one if I felt like I was going to be murdered or kidnapped and sold)

Later in the day, I had to put on my big girl panties and go find a doctor to make an appointment to get a medical certificate so that I can get my health insurance finally sorted out. Things didn't go as planned though, so I need to try again today. I'm scared of doctors, dentists, and all those people that can poke me with needles and tell me bad news.

Malcolm had about 6 different trains to catch, which I found concerning because it's easy to miss one. His second train was running late, but fortunately the conductor called ahead and asked the next train to wait for him and some other passengers needing it. From there, it went so smoothly that Malcolm was running an hour early and waited at Siegen for about an hour for his next train, and got to Bonn without any further problems. He was there for a DAAD orientation seminar, and from the sounds of things, they were well taken care of and he was happy to be reunited with some of his friends from the CDC. 

However, it was our first night apart since we got to Germany, which wasn't too much fun and was a little strange. What did I used to spend my evenings doing? But I made the most of the situation by getting to skype Ani and Abi and chatting for a looooong time :) And, watching a chick flick and eating cookies. It was okay :) 

I'm looking forward to Malcolm getting back tonight, and then hopefully he has some photos of his time in Bonn that I can share :) 

Have a great weekend!!! 

12 comments:

  1. That really takes some bravery to deal with a doctor's visit! (and walking in the dark!) You guys have been productive with all of these practical chores that come along with settling into a new place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I did indeed go to the doctor... but when I got home I realised he hadn't filled in everything on the form... so I have to go back AGAIN! :(

      Delete
  2. That bread looks yummy! Glad that you guys are getting your apt. together, sounds like you are managing everything quite well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SO good! Slowly but surely, yes!

      Delete
  3. I loved reading this post. Being an 'adult' is sometimes pretty boring! :)
    http://liveitinerantly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right... not always fun and games here!

      Delete
  4. You did get so much done. You had me laughing that you brought a mattress home that you found. Sounds like something I would think about doing but then be creeped out by. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... yes, if it were a bed mattress, I would not have brought it in - that would creep me out a little, especially the ones I've seen dumped there. But because this one was like our couch and the other cushions for it that make it a couch rather than a bed were there, we figured it would be ok ;)

      Delete
  5. this post made me giggle - lots of grownup stuff like bank accounts, health insurance, and apt decorating, but you seem to make it all fun :) and that bread looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so very adult and boring... though it is more fun with Malcolm by my side :)

      Delete
  6. Look at you guys, getting all settled into life in Germany! I'm glad that you are making connections in Marburg! :)

    ReplyDelete