Monday, 21 October 2013

The weekend of... exploring

The sun came out this weekend! That, my friends, was a glorious sight.

On Friday I went to the library and, after an awkward registration process with a man who answered with single words and a kind lady showing my how all their high-tech check-out machines work, I was able to take out some books. I'm pretty excited that they have a big English section as well as French, though I also challenged myself with a German book. Martin, I carried a German Terry Pratchett around for a while, before realising that I probably wouldn't understand it, and settled for a fluffy-girly-book instead ;)

I then went for a walk and found a really pretty street with beautiful old houses along it.



I also rented a DVD from the library, so that evening when Malcolm got home, we could watch that together, a cosy way to end the week!

On Saturday, with the sun shining, we decided to go up to the castle. We took the bus into town and then first went to the old botanical gardens. They're quite small, but there's a pretty pond in the middle and the autumn leaves were just so beautiful. And, we saw a sweet little squirrel! It was adorable, running up and down the tree.

We then wandered and wound our way up the hill to the castle.

We eventually made it to the top and the view over Marburg was just amazing, I'm so glad we went on such a clear day!



We chose to save going inside (i.e. paying) for another day, but did go into the courtyard in the centre, which was quite impressive. From the bottom of the hill the castle looks more like a mansion, but when we were closer it was easier to see the castle-y elements. The walls around it also look pretty imposing and I can imagine they must have been quite the challenge!


We intended to head straight back down again, but realised there is a park next to the castle which, again, was just beautiful in the autumn colours. We wandered around it for a while, sat on a bench and pondered life, and discovered why chicken little thought the sky was falling down when an acorn fell on him.


Having had enough of being pelted with acorns, we headed down the hill again and went to the Markt to find Edlunds, a Swedish coffee shop. We have a booklet of vouchers from when we registered our residence, and we're determined to use the ones we like before they expire at the end of the year. So, we used our first voucher to get a buy-one-get-one-free waffle, which was deeeeeelicious. We will most certainly go back to use our second voucher there!

It was a wonderful day out, and I certainly enjoy wandering the streets with Malcolm rather than alone!

On Sunday we also did our fair share of exploring... we walked to church, which is 3km away if we take the short cut through the forest, and then went to a couple for lunch. To get to them though, we took a 'short cut' through the forest which turned out not to be much shorter at all, and mostly uphill, though it was a fun adventure. We took about 50 minutes, and were SO happy to finally arrive. It was really fun to hang out with Nicole (who I met at the moms group) and her husband and kids and lunch was delicious! It was a great afternoon and we left feeling full, our brains feeling tired from German, but mostly just happy!

14 comments:

  1. Marburg looks amazing Erica! I hope you settle in quickly although I'm sure some days will always be worse than others but everything always better when the sun is out. We've been having some very European weather since Thursday- constant rain and cold so I feel your joy at seeing the sun! Inbox me your address when you have time so I can send my little xmas gift :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, Kristen! The sunshine definitely cheers me up, so I hope you get some there too! I'll inbox you soon! :D

      Delete
  2. oh I love a great weekend of exploring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Especially with somebody by my side :)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful day and place to walk. Sounds like you certainly got your exercise! : )

    Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! These hills make even the shortest distance seem long!

      Delete
  4. You guys sure did a lot of exploring--and got plenty of exercise with those walks too! It's great that you guys are still having such nice, clear weather! It's raining constantly here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first sunshine we've had in a while, although it's been peeking through occasionally :)

      Delete
  5. Exploring a new city is always the most fun. Hope you have a great time there!
    http://liveitinerantly.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. you look like you're living a fairy tale -- it's so lovely! your first sentence made me giggle -- i thought i was the only person who said things like that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh this town did inspire the Brothers Grimm to write some of their stories, so as long as I'm not in one of THOSE stories, I'm happy with a fairy tale :D

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous pictures, Erica! I'm sorry I missed out on the great weather here in Germany last week while I was away. I'm hoping for good weather on Saturday so I can get some good pics of the autumn leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather was a nice change, though it doesn't seem it's going to make a re-appearance this weekend :( I love the leaves and colours right now, I had no idea Autumn can be this pretty!

      Delete