Wednesday, 9 October 2013

Paper work.

Wednesday we headed off early to get stuff done before meeting Onkel Arno and Tante Ursel for lunch. We first needed to pay the rent and hand in the contract which went quickly and smoothly, but we had forgotten our marriage certificate at home and last time we registered in the city it was essential. So, we took the bus all the way home again (it takes half an hour to get just about anywhere), ran in, got the certificate, ran back out, and got the next bus back again. At the stadtbureau, it was quite busy with loads of students arriving for the semester, but fortunately the queue went quite quickly. After all our running back and forth, the marriage certificate wasn’t needed, and unfortunately I have to go through a whole lot more paper work to get my name changed to my married surname. I’ll do that and also get an ID when I recover from this first round of bureaucracy.

When we were all anmelded and sorted out, we went to the hotel to meet Onkel Arno and Tante Ursel. We went to the market place and had lunch there in a really German-authentic-feeling restaurant. Malcolm had duck for the first time, and ducks have subsequently gained a new predator. It was really fancy food and we were really spoiled! 


We went back down to the hotel and, after Tante Ursel gave me a bag of veggies she’s bought at the farmers market for me to make soup, we said goodbye. It was such a sudden goodbye, and we were really sad that they needed to head home. We couldn’t thank them enough for taking such good care of us and bringing us all the way here, and my heart was so so heavy as we waved goodbye. I suddenly felt really alone, standing there with Malcolm. It was like the time when mum had to leave me at my digs in first year. It suddenly hit me – we’re in Marburg, it’s real, we know absolutely nobody here.


We went to the Lahn river, and sat there eating biscuits and watching people canoe and paddle by. It was idyllic and very pretty, but also lonely for the two of us. 


Eventually, we got up and wandered around the streets some more. 




They’re really pretty and the cobblestones remind me how old the town is. We got a little lost, not too badly, and found a bus back home-ward. 

10 comments:

  1. Oh!! I know it's all new for you, but seeing pictures from my once-home just filled my heart with love and nostalgia for good ole Marburg. I think you will just love it once you get settled in. Take a walk up to the castle while the weather is still nice and eat some Auflauf from Paprika Cafe :) I still know a few people there if you need any local help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I'm glad to hear it makes you nostalgic, makes me optimistic about what we'll feel when we leave ;) I do really love it, most of the time, it does take some getting used to though, especially knowing that this is it for 3 years. But, we're enjoying it for the most part and it's been fun exploring! :)

      Delete
  2. How exciting that you're finally moved! I can't imagine how hard it must be not knowing anyone. I'll be praying that God brings some amazing friendships into your lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty surreal, we're here?!?! It has been pretty tough, but the church we're going to is great and we've met some wonderful and friendly people :)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful place!! Happy settling in!! Hopefully you'll find a church and will be making friends very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a pretty city! We've found a great church and are making some connections :)

      Delete
  4. That looks like such a pretty little place to explore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO. PRETTY. But just really small, I wish there was more of it to explore! ;)

      Delete
  5. "...and ducks have subsequently gained a new predator" hahaha I love this!

    Prayers for you and Malcolm getting settled and making new friends! It is a hard time, but God always makes good things happen as a result of trials. Were any of your friends from your old city able to recommend a church for you guys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, they're so cute, it's a pity! ;)
      Thank you so much, that's really true! We were told there are some good Bible-believing churches here, and it's turned out to be true :)

      Delete