Tuesday, 22 October 2013

eShowe in a Day... dream with me.

There’s something satisfying about feeling cold here in our little apartment in Germany, and skyping with my mother in little eShowe, South Africa, when she mentions it’s cold and rainy there too. I guess it’s because we’re mid-seasons, just like when we moved here in June and the weather seemed the same in Frankfurt as it was in Durban where our plane took off. Of course, one down side to the rain that Durban is having right now is that it does interfere with the wireless internet connection of Malcolm’s parents, and we haven’t really been able to skype them since September.

Anyway, so it got me thinking about what might be happening right now in little eShowe, the town I consider my home-town, where I grew up since I was 5. I haven't really shared much about it, seeing as the blog started as we left South Africa, and I feel like I've committed treason for writing more about German towns than my own ;)

My 6th birthday party, 2 months after moving to eShowe.
The weather is probably the same as here right now. The forest is probably just as wet. But it’s a beautiful town, and I do love it – probably more now than when I actually lived there! So, seeing as it's Travel Tuesday (Thanks, Bonnie Rose!), if you were to visit with me for one one day in eShowe, what would it be like? Let’s imagine it’s Saturday morning...

We’d wake up and all sit together on our veranda, drinking a cup of coffee (it will be filter coffee, because it’s Saturday) with a rusk or two (or three). Ruby would run around the garden searching for moles or mongooses, and there might be monkey’s in the fig tree, trying to access the seed in the bird feeder. Or, seeing as it’s fig-season, there are probably a few hornbills or louries perched on the branches.


After coffee, it’s time to make a shopping list, get dressed, and head out for breakfast/brunch. The obvious place to go is Made at Home. Located in a home along Kangela street, Ilona (who also made the beautiful little blue pots with the candles in for our wedding), runs the most amazing morning market where one can buy fresh produce from the area. Although mum will probably buy some peppers or green beans there, I’m there for the coffee and cake. Ilona’s muffins and cakes that she bakes are SO good, and there’re always sweet and savoury options freshly baked that morning. 

Ani and I feeling overwhelmed by the size of our cakes...
the cakes on the Saturday before Easter. yuuuuum! 
We find a table and have a seat, and say hi to those that we know that come by. It’s impossible to go in there without seeing somebody you know, which is why Malcolm was almost late to our wedding after Martin dashed in 'quickly' to buy a muffin for breakfast.

From there, we head to the Mall, to Pic n Pay or Spar, and buy whatever it is that we need for lunch. From there, we head to Dhlinza Forest. We wander through the forest, admiring the big old trees and maybe even seeing a duiker (if lucky...). 

The top right photo is of Malcolm and me the first time he visited eShowe, and on the left, mum up a tree...



The trail takes us up onto the boardwalk, where we have a beautiful view over the canopy of trees. There are two places that I know of from which one can see the ocean from eShowe, and this is one of them (on a clear day and if standing on the picnic table!). Or have the trees grown too tall already?



After working up a bit of an appetite, we find a picnic spot and Daddy lights the braai fire. We sit around chatting and eating Simba chips (they don’t have paprika flavour!) waiting for the food to be ready. The meal, consisting of much meat, and some salad, is probably the most relaxed meal one can make, and always tastes great.



Because you’re a visitor, we need to show the ‘proper’ sights of Eshowe too, so we go to the Fort Nongqayi. This fort was built in 1883 and was used by the Zululand Native Police and again during the Bambatha Uprising.  


There’s also a basket museum there, which features baskets woven by some well-known master-weavers, as well as an art gallery, curio shop, and Norwegian Chapel. I also really like the Butterfly dome which is pretty to walk through; though it’s fairly small, it’s nice to see the butterflies in an environment that isn’t steamed up and suffocating.



Eshowe is a very small town, and from there, a drive around with a few hops out the car will show you the rest... passing by the town hall, the old jail (we forgot to get a photo of us on our wedding day outside the new prison by the sign that says “a place of new beginnings”!), Mpushini waterfalls, and then a drive out towards Nkwaleni where you can see the beautiful sugar-cane fields, depending on the time of year, and the roads on which I learnt to drive (that's when I wasn't practicing on the airfield or at the dam). 

Mpushini falls, the dam, Nkwaleni. 
You might also see cows, or pigs, or a man walking his goat... see if you get lucky ;) 


Coming back that evening, it's probably pizza for dinner - the very best made by mum. That’s home. 

Yes, her pizzas are square. I don't know at what age I learnt that they're usually round...

18 comments:

  1. eShowe looks like such a perfect little east coast town! Love the monkeys and it must be amazing to be so close to such a beautiful forest. And of course... you can never beat a traditional South Africa braai :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! The monkeys are sweet to watch, though they can become a problem - we've been fortunate that they stay out of our house!

      Delete
  2. It looks like you've grew up with a lot of gorgeous forests and wildlife pretty easily accessible--that waterfall looks amazing. When it comes to beauties of nature, I'm a sucker for caves and waterfallls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was great to have all that so close by! The waterfall is really pretty, though I've realised I'm not the greatest fan because I'm scared of slipping and smashing my head on the rocks an dying. Melodramatic? Maybe.

      Delete
  3. one of my favorite posts so far - just so much happiness, from hearing about your mom, to learning about Eshowe, to the size of that cake, to those massive trees -- you're a lucky girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed reading it! Ah that cake... we shared both those pieces and were defeated by the chocolate cake! I am a lucky girl indeed, so thankful that I had such a great place to grow up in :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful home!! The views look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The views of the hills and fields really are beautiful! :)

      Delete
  5. Ok, seriously, girl. Someday Nate and I are going to come visit you in South Africa. It WILL happen!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we'll be back there whenever it is you decide to make that happen :D

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful home! Thanks for the tour! Would love to be able to come ACTUALLY visit you and Malcolm there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to be there to be visited! :D It really is a pretty place :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing this part of your life with us! What an amazing place to grow up in! :) I hope you guys will be able to Skype with Malcolm's parents soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! It really was a wonderful place to live :)

      Delete
  8. What a lovely place to grow up! I loved seeing a virtual tour of your hometown :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great day. Thanks for sharing. It is the first time I hear of eShowe. It is in a part of South Africa that I have never visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure! It's not very well known at all, but a sweet place to visit if you're ever on the North Coast :)

      Delete