Friday, 6 September 2013

Week recap: uh, where'd it go?

This has got to have been the FASTEST week gone by, at least to me!
It's been a really good one though... I especially enjoyed only needing to wake up early on Monday and today, other days Malcolm had afternoon classes :) Malcolm had a good week at the CDC... between the teacher bringing cake and having a classmate demonstrate some physiotherapy on another it sounds like they've had a good time. 
So, our highlights! 

Monday night Malcolm made dinner.  
He did some grocery shopping and then took over the kitchen... I only found out he was making lasagna when it arrived on the dinner table. It was amazing... I was SO impressed... Cara, I think our impressions of Malcolm's culinary expertise are very different! And then for dessert, strawberries and chocolate sauce and cream. (ok I actually don't know what it was, it wasn't cream but it was good! Remember I said dairy products are confusing here? Yeah, Malcolm discovered that.) 

Tuesday we went to Woyton for life group. It's a cafe I've never noticed before, although now I've noticed them all over, and it has such good iced-coffee. And the music is pretty good too. And of course the company. David bought me us condensed milk too, after I'd asked about it last week in the dessert he made, which I'm saving for my birthday - condensed milk was often our birthday treat so I'm pretty happy! Incidentally, his family lived in eShowe and I knew his great-uncle, while his father and Malcolm's uncle went to school together. So we've decided to be friends. (Hey, seeing as we're facebook friends now, are you reading this, David?) 

Wednesday we went SHOPPING. 

THANK YOU to everybody who gave us money for our wedding - so far you have provided us with a duvet, duvet cover, towels, candle sticks (I really wanted to buy something fancy and 'unneccessary'... they're not pictured here because they're wrapped), and oven gloves! We'll be heading to Ikea some time for the rest. I can't wait to open everything and use it! But, in a month's time we'll be living in Marburg! 














Yesterday was Kolner day! So, we had free entry to city museums... we headed to the Stadtmuseum in the morning and really enjoyed it. It basically takes visitors through life in Cologne over the past few hundred years - it's really interesting and the perfect size - it took 2 hours so it was a perfect amount of time to concentrate the whole way through. I'll recap that another day! 
This museum is our third, so we can tick that off our Cologne bucket-list! Hooray!








Wow, we actually did quite a lot... no wonder it went by so fast! Today we'll be packing our bags because we need to leave really early tomorrow for PARIIIIIS! We have our plans laid out, but we'll see how things go and what we do (I WILL relax and not be a control-freak). I'm just praying that everything, especially with our hotel, works out okay! 

I'll be updating again on Tuesday because we get back late on Monday, and by then I'll be 24 years old! I get to be in TWO countries on my birthday this year, how cool?! Weeeeee! 

18 comments:

  1. You have to have candles! : ) We stopped off in Cologne a couple of years ago on our way back from Italy. Nearish to the beautiful cathedral is the Eau de Cologne shop. The lady in there was really charming and gave us free tiny bottles of the cologne, which is a really nice fresh smelling scent. We also found a fab cafe on a corner, which was also a bakery. My goodness, the bread and cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now, we probably have to have more practical things like a kettle, or dish cloths... but what if the power goes out, right? And I feel like a real adult now, with pretty glass candle-stick holders :D
    I love the look of the Eau de Cologne shop, so fancy! There's also the Farina museum which documents the perfume. I haven't been into either, though now that you mention free samples... I might just stop by the shop ;)
    The bakeries and cafes here are SO tempting... I could happily walk down the road and just enjoy the smells coming from them!(ok, I could probably eat most of it too ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weeks always fly by at a startling rate!! And all that wedding money comes in so handy! We bought all the basic necessities with gift money--that really helped us out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what we'd do without it! And hopefully gifts we got can be sent over sooner or later :)

      Delete
  4. I saw the picture of next to where you wrote that your man made you dinner and I thought you were going to say that he made dessert for dinner. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... that would just show how well he knows me, that I'd be pretty happy with dessert for dinner - but he also cares about my nutrition, sometimes :D

      Delete
  5. i would love to live a week in your life -- it sounds sooo fun. and.. after 4 years of dating, my husband has *never* made me dinner (in all fairness, he did try once..)

    happy birthday weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm not sure you would - it might sound more exciting in text than it is in actuality ;) Although, the dinner was pretty enviable :D But at least you husband tried once, that's more than many others I'm sure :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, I love Friday nights or Saturday mornings when I sit down and catch up on what the Bartletts have done over the last week. (I just don't get the time during the week.) Feels like I am on an adventure in Germany too! Have a great time in Paris. I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I'm glad you're reading though! Isn't it wonderful still being able to 'share life' despite distance, thanks to social media and stuff?! I can't wait to share about Paris! :D

      Delete
  7. Your week sounds awesome but personally my highlights would be shopping and the desert ;)
    Have an amazing time in Paris :)

    Kate - diariesofanessexgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were definitely great :) I've been longing to do home-shopping for months now, so the anticipation made it that much more exciting! :D

      Delete
  8. Happy early birthday fellow Virgo (my birthday is tomorrow actually)! Enjoy your trip to Paris, I'm sure everything will go well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you! Right back to you! :D

      Delete
  9. where did the weekend go?! looks like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This year has gone by so fast hasn't it?! Finding a balance of work and play is key to enjoying the time that we have.
    http://liveitinerantly.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I cannot believe it's nearly half way through SEPTEMBER?!?!

      Delete