Friday, 20 September 2013

Week recap: organising

It's Friday? Again? While I'm sure many of you are breathing a sigh of relief, I'm dumbfounded. After today, Malcolm has just 5 more days of German lessons, and we have 11 more sleeps in this home. 
I'm pretty sure we just arrived? 
But, with the seasons changing and it getting cold, it does feel like it's the right time to move - our summer here is definitely over and the season is changing. Malcolm says I sound like the storyteller in Chocolat 
"But still the clever north wind was not satisfied. It spoke to Vianne of towns yet to be visited, friends in need yet to be discovered, battles yet to be fought..."

So anyway, it was a quiet week - I've packed a few things into a box, and I've made lists of just about everything. I have a schedule for packing and cleaning so hopefully we won't have too much in the last couple days. And, of course, our meal-planning helps because we should finish everything in the fridge and cupboards before we go. Really trying to keep our stuff to a minimum in the hopes that it'll fit in the car ;) I'm also still waiting to hear about jobs, and looking for more to apply to, while also researching some ballet schools there. The thought of dancing again makes me so happy - and terrified.

As a break from his usual German lessons, Malcolm's class went out and about yesterday. 
They started by looking at one of the oldest Romanesque Churches in Cologne. The Church, St. Gereons's Basilica, is one I've walked past many times and not gone into - and I had no idea how old it is! The first record of it is in the year 612, though it was further constructed and finished in 1227. 

Close by, there is the Roman Tower, which is the only tower of the wall from 50AD to still be intact. Isn't it amazingly intricate? 
From there they went to the Stadtmuseum, where we've been before. And then to the 4711 museum - the original address where the original Eau de Cologne number 4711 was made. 
They ended their day at a pub, where Malcolm discovered that pub-snacks here are nothing like they are in SA. 

So, I wish you all a wonderful weekend, fill it with excitement and adventure - find it! 
This morning I'll be heading to some shops I've been meaning to check out, and then this afternoon we'll be going on another Ikea-adventure to get the last of the necessities and then the rest we'll get in Marburg. Yes, I see Ikea as an adventure. Life is what you make of it, right? 

18 comments:

  1. Ikea IS an adventure ;)
    Good luck with preparing for your move, I think moving is exciting :) But I do always get that sad feeling of ohh... leaving already?

    Kate | Diaries of an Essex Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm not the only one who sees Ikea as such?! :D
      Thanks, moving is so exciting but it definitely is a bitter-sweet thing too :(

      Delete
  2. That church is stunning inside!

    Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Don't think I'll get the chance to go see it myself though :(

      Delete
  3. That church and tower are beautiful! I can't wait to get to Cologne soon. It's on my list of places to visit in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoy your last week in a half -- hope there isn't too much packing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Fortunately we only arrived with 75kg of stuff, and have tried not to accumulate tooooooo much! (but we'll see about that....)

      Delete
  5. How funny! My post today is about organization too, but it a different way. Good luck with the packing!
    http://liveitinerantly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I saw yours! :) Seems it's what we're all after!

      Delete
  6. I'm right there with you - when I move I always schedule out when I'm going to pack different things. It keeps me from going crazy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! As long as I know that everything has a day that it WILL get done, I can enjoy free time in between :)

      Delete
  7. I heartily agree with you that Ikea is an adventure. I have to take a two hour road trip (each way) to go shopping at my nearest Ikea. So when I go it is a full day adventure for me. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty far! It takes us a little over an hour with walking and train connections, but it's so much fun :D

      Delete
  8. Those churches are gorgeous!!! And I'm taking an IKEA adventure this weekend too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are right? There are just SO many beautiful buildings here though, it's easy to miss them! I hope you had a successful Ikea-adventure! :D

      Delete
  9. Good luck getting ready for your move! I hope it will all go smoothly! :)

    ReplyDelete