Monday, 23 September 2013

The weekend of... first and last times

The German elections have been and gone, and despite CNN's reports showing all those party-ing people, we were pretty oblivious to that side and just saw it on TV. Dunnwald was Quiiiiiieeeet. 

Anyway, our weekend started on Friday with an adventure. And weight lifting. Yep, Ikea. While I was concerned about not buying too much stuff that it'll fit in the car, it didn't occur to me that we'd also have to keep it limited because we'd have to carry it. But, we got plates and pots and cooking utensils and cutlery and.... coffee mugs


We got some hotdogs and coffee, and bottomless coke to regain our strength and prepare ourselves to schlepp it all home. It was a schlepp, but we made it with nothing broken! 
It was all worth it when we finally got to use our coffee mugs for the first time. Everything else is still sealed, but we couldn't resist having our hot chocolate in a mug. (I don't think I've drunk out of a coffee mug in nearly 4 months, and tea cups lose their charm when filled with cocoa, right?)


It was glorious. 

Saturday morning we headed out to take on coat-shopping. There was a 3-in-1 jacket I'd seen that was on sale and there were only a few left, so we hurried there for Malcolm to try them on. It was a hit, and will definitely be warm enough. The salesman was a little more complimentary towards Malcolm than I was comfortable with, but he also said the way I spoke German was "süß"... so he was okay, and was very helpful. Result: Malcolm has a jacket. 
We then headed just to look at some coats on sale at another shop. I really didn't love any of them, until Malcolm showed me a green/brown wool coat with a hood and comfy pockets. I tried it on and it fit well so that I could wear another jersey or two underneath, Malcolm said the colour made my hair look golden and eyes look pretty (this man knows me too well...), my hopes for water-proof flew out the window, and I loved it. We walked around the shop for ages weighing it up, until we decided that I should get it - happy Erica! 

So, each of us with our coats, we headed home. At Neumarkt the square was covered in little pandas, so we stopped for a bit. SO. CUTE. 

Despite my excitement, it also made me so sad to hear that there are less than 1600 of these sweeties left in the wild!? I think they had 1600 of these panda-figures in the square, and it really didn't look like much at all :( 

That evening after supper, the sun suddenly came out, and we decided to go for a ride - we haven't been in a long while and don't know if or when we'll get another chance. So out we went. It was so strange riding through there - and my heart was heavy that we're leaving. I remembered how excited I was when we first discovered it. How it filled up during the summer holidays and became really busy. And now, it was so deserted. The few runners that came past were dressed in their warm-running-clothes. We had to be careful because of the muddy patches. The leaves had changed. It just really felt so quiet, and it sunk in that our time here is over. 



I guess I spoke to soon when I said that the forest feels familiar. Just after we took these photos, we took the path we haven't before, and ended up completely lost. We were so disorientated, and although it's easy enough to find a bigger path, we didn't know which direction to head along. Eventually we came out (yep, we'd gone all the way through the forest) and arrived at some swimming pool centre which had a map outside. We figured out which direction to go and headed in that general direction, but really unsure. The sun set and the forest was dark, and we couldn't get our bike-lights to work, so we stayed on the paths next to the main road. Eventually, we found ourselves on a familiar road and made it home where we realised we'd cycled about 8km. 


The sky was pretty, and we were SO relieved to get home. 

Sunday we spent organising clothes and packing a bit, and then we went to church. It was our last Sunday there because this week the church is meeting somewhere else on Saturday, which will be fun! 

Now, Malcolm has started his LAST week at the CDC, and we're preparing for a busy week - though this morning we took some time to celebrate 6 months married! Hoorah! 

24 comments:

  1. a square covered in little pandas? how fun is that? i wish it would happen here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so cool seeing them all... such a great way to raise awareness about the poor things!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you both found some jackets to keep you warm in the German Fall/Winter! :) And isn't Ikea kind of like the happiest place on earth? ;) I know a lot of people who mainly go there for the cheap hotdogs and the All-You-Can-Drink!

    xx
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Relieved that just maybe I won't freeze ;) :D Ikea is SO much fun, and if it were closer I would SO be there for the hotdogs and all-you-can-drink. I think I must have refilled like 5 times? Shopping makes me thirsty! :D

      Delete
  3. Awww these little guys were in Frankfurt about 2 weeks ago! Awesome to see they are making their way around Germany ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just so sweet?? They definitely seem to be getting around, making their panda-mark on hearts :)

      Delete
  4. I love trips to Ikea! Always a good time. :)
    http://liveitinerantly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've fallen for Ikea too... going to be sad to move away!

      Delete
  5. You guys have stayed busy, that's for sure! But you didn't model your new coat for us! And 1600 is not many pandas at all, I didn't know that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And will continue to stay busy this week! It hasn't been cold enough for it, though I wore it yesterday anyway because it matched what I wanted to wear ;) There'll be pictures soon enough! :D

      Delete
  6. Happy 6 months!! Glad you found your way home!! 8 km!!!! Wow!! Good workout!! ;) And what cute pandas!! Hope all goes well with your move and saying your goodbyes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was SO relieved to get home, though it was fun, it was also pretty scary!

      Delete
  7. haha an overly friendly salesman happened to us too! When he asked, "Where are you from?" and when I answered he barked back, "No, not you!" and continued staring at Fionn. Awkward!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... that is awkward! It was funny and uncomfortable!

      Delete
  8. What a fun weekend (and man, lugging things home from Ikea--definite weight lifting workout!). I love those little pandas and it must have been so much fun to stumble across them. It is definite cocoa weather in these parts and I'm looking forward to cozying up to a mug of peppermint cocoa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, definitely got a lil stronger there ;) It was so cool to see all the little pandas, but so sad that there are so few left!!
      Peppermint cocoa sounds great!

      Delete
  9. IKEA coffee mugs...so cute! :) They have EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do... would have got SO much more if we didn't have to lug it... I <3 our coffee mugs, they're perfect to wrap hands around :D

      Delete
  10. I agree, Ikea are great! Happy 6 month anniversary! : )

    Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy 6 Months! Malcom sounds really patient and sweet to you when you guys were coat shopping! I know that sad feeling when you're about to leave a place...I hope you'll get to make the most of it in your last few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh yes, he is THE most patient shopper, and he's pretty good at it - thanks to his sister's training ;)

      Delete
  12. Those little pandas are adorable! It's so sad that they're growning extinct. And now I need to go to IKEA!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are hey! :) Haha, is Ikea contagious? I think yes!

      Delete