Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Shake what your Daddy gave you?

I've been chickening out every time I want to post this today... But, I want to share this, and Jesus is central in my life and I can't not talk about Him. And why shouldn't I, right? 

Two things prompted this post today. Firstly, our Life-group last night studied the parable from Luke 19:11-27, and just when I wanted to avoid the topic, Bonnie Rose wrote this post today about how she’d love to use her hairdressing skills to uplift women, or spend time photographing in Afghanistan, which inspired me as well... (not saying that what I write here is her opinion, she may believe otherwise!)

So, how are the two linked? Here’s what’s on my heart today...

In the parable, Jesus tells of a nobleman who leaves the land to become a king, leaving his 10 servants with a mina each, with the instructions to put the money to work. After he leaves, his citizens send a delegation after him to tell him that they don’t want him to be their king. 

When the nobleman came back, now King of the land, he asks to see his servants. He finds out that one managed to make 10 minas out of his one mina, and rewards him with authority over ten cities. Another servant has made 5 out of his mina, and he gets rewarded with authority over 5 cities. Another servant comes and excuses himself saying that he was scared, and kept the mina safe but did nothing with it. The King then takes away that servant’s mina and gives it to the one who made ten.

Maybe this doesn't seem fair, but we need to remember that the servants were given their mina’s (it wasn't theirs to start with) to serve a purpose: to engage in business. The minas weren’t given to be hidden away or kept a secret, but to multiply. Clearly, the last servant who did this didn’t put the mina to its intended purpose, while the first servant was wise with his and actually used it to further the kingdom.

So... this has me challenged. When Jesus told these parables, it was usually an illustration for something else, and I think it’s probable that here Jesus is the nobleman, gone to his Father but who will be coming back as King. Those who serve him are the servants, and the minas are what he’s given us.

So what has He given me?
SO MUCH.
Money, talents, skills, gifts, resources, relationships... I believe that everything I have is from God.
So what am I doing with it all? Am I using it to further the kingdom? Or sitting on it and keeping it safe? Or keeping it to myself?
Consider me challenged. I’m confronting this question now... considering it and praying about it, so that one day, when Jesus comes back, I’ll have used what he trusted me with for His purposes.

I considered ending right there, but the story isn't finished yet. What happened to the citizens who sent a delegation after the nobleman saying they reject his authority? He came back as king despite their delegation running after him. 
What do people who commit treason usually face? He orders their death. They could have chosen life by accepting him as their king, but by rejecting him, they choose death. Revelations says that Jesus WILL come back and that every knee WILL bow... the fact that the citizens refused to acknowledge him as their King does not change the fact that he is exactly that. 
Think that’s a bit harsh? God is a God of grace and love, but he’s also just and sovereign. It’s hard for me to get my head around sometimes. I know that I CAN’T be perfect. God knows that I CAN’T be perfect. But that’s why He sent Jesus, who is perfect, and that’s why I choose to accept the grace that’s offered to me. Because I just can’t do it without Him.


Got questions? Feel free to get in touch.

10 comments:

  1. I love this so much, Erica! Thanks for sharing your heart here on your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that! It's a pleasure, I'm happy I did it!

      Delete
  2. Yes, this is your blog so you should post whatever you want! I'm glad you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sometimes hard to remember that!

      Delete
  3. You can post about religion more often if you want - I enjoy it! :) I've heard this parable plenty of times before, but I never really thought about its meaning. What you say makes so much sense, though: We really are supposed to make the most out of the things that God has given to us - that's our purpose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear you enjoy it! I love life-groups together, or even just discussing verses with Malcolm, there's always so much depth... and being challenged is, in my eyes, progress :)

      Delete
  4. loved reading this -- it's important to speak about what's in our hearts :) your sweet and caring nature comes out so perfectly in your writing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so... I just can't leave things unsaid and loose my voice on here, I so desperately want to share what's on my heart and mind but sometimes I self-censor.

      Delete