Thursday, 19 September 2013

It's a sign.

No really, I'm talking about signs. Okay and some graffiti.

One of the interesting things about moving over here has been trying to understand signs and adverts. Quite often the humour is just lost on us... or we find humour in what others may not. Or we're shocked. Or we're just surprised to see cigarettes advertised. There are also some really confusing signs, which is why I Googled German road signs before I took on the mean streets of Dunnwald on my bike. So today I thought I'd share with you some of the signs that have caught our attention.

I wish I could have clearer photos, but most are taken from a tram or train window or in a rush... 


The above advert is at the bus-stop, saying "nur ein und aussteigen" - so only getting in and out of cars that stop there - no lingering goodbyes that take the spot of the bus.


This one is from the zoo, and does make sense in context... walking into a bird enclosure with a bird that had a thing for Malcolm's socks makes me understand why loose toys might be in danger. But isn't it creepy?


It's election time in Germany! I was oblivious that this man is in the running; I thought this was an advert for the German Dr Phil. Only when Malcolm pointed out that there are elections going on did I realise that the people I was seeing on these posters weren't estate-agents and talk show hosts. Somehow the style of election posters are so different to what I'm used to that these just don't look like election posters to me?


The slogan for this water called "vio" is "immer frisch in kopf" - always fresh in the head? I think they mean clear thinking. This one just left me confused though - the bunny, the slogan... until I googled and discovered it's water.


This one surprised us big time... I guess swearing in another language doesn't count as swearing here? This is apparently a relatively normal way to refer to an influx of negative comments on social media sites or blogs.


This one is on a tree in the forest here - basically, childrens' #2s are okay to be left under trees, but the paper must please be thrown away.


So this is some kind of bear, I assume? It just surprised us because it's such a... sunny and happy and sort of flower-power looking advert. We're used to beer being advertised in a more masculine way, really appealing to men... I can't imagine this advert working in SA? Here're examples of SA beer adverts I found online in a quick search. (also, I never realised, to access some of these websites one needs to enter ones birthday because no under 18s are allowed... not fool-proof, but an attempt!)

Here's another beer advert here - Kolsch is beer from Koln, so this sort of appeals to those who are proudly from here. But the logo for Sion Kolsch is the cathedral? The cathedral is used as an emblem for the city and marketers here really don't think much further than the iconic towers of the Dom. But on beer?   

And, lastly, some interesting graffiti... 

 
This isn't too clear, but there are people charging at the a city with a giant banana, while some have bows and arrows, and the guy on the right is painting.

I find it really interesting seeing these small differences that pop up now and again, even those that I find strange. I mean, I'm sure many people find South African adverts strange every now and again? But, Nandos always makes my favourites. I mean, if they get banned, they must be good, right?
- last dictator standing 
- Diversity 
- Tough Times
oh, and this Chicken Licken Advert. What is it about chicken places?

Hope you have a great day, wherever you are!

21 comments:

  1. Haha have you seen the ads for the election with the multicolored butts on them? It's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! NO! Really?? Apparently ours are pretty tame ;)

      Delete
  2. I giggle every time I drive by an election ad near my village for Angela Merkel with a "Hitler 'stache" drawn in. It's a horrible thing that someone did to the sign, but it just looks so silly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen too much of her! I think we live in an area with too many old people to have many vandalised posters - but in the city there are lots!

      Delete
  3. hmm, I haven't seen too many weird adverts here but that bird one is crazy! I HATE birds because one time a bird stole a sandwich out of my hands as a child. traumatizing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds freak me out a little too - I was VERY apprehensive about entering that enclosure!

      Delete
  4. Austria is the same way!! I have a post about their advertising to pick up after your dog with a big swirl of poo, bigger than the dog!! It was so gross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... I saw a sign similar, but I think it was a little more in proportion ;) :D

      Delete
  5. Haha, this is such a funny post. I love the street signs in different countries, especially when it is a translation to English that is not correct! :)
    http://liveitinerantly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! There was a mis-translation on the menu that other day that had us giggling, but I've forgotten what it was!

      Delete
  6. That first sign--I would have had no idea what it meant! And I wouldn't have guessed that Nandos was in South Africa. They have it in Malaysia, too.
    My funniest ex-pat sign story is from some ex-pats we knew who moved to Malaysia and didn't know any of the language. They kept seeing a sign that said "Jalan Sehala" (Jalan means road, so they thought it was the name of the road) when they were trying to get around, and it seemed to them that "Jalan Sehala" was very long, and sometimes they tried to navigate by it, trying to get back to "Jalan Sehala".....too bad that "Jalan Sehala" means "One-way street"--it's not a road name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I thought they had a thing against affectionate goodbyes - but the very affectionate couples I've seen on the platform disspelled that idea.
      That story is so funny! Especially because I did something similar - einbahnstrasse is a one-way street, and once when we were lost I kept seeing it, and couldn't figure out how this road seemed to be everywhere, and couldn't figure out where we were... not realising that they were all different streets, but all one-way only's!

      Delete
  7. Haha. These signs and ads are hilarious!!! I guess everywhere does things differently. Thanks for sharing them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! And it's a pleasure :)

      Delete
  8. one of my favorite road trip pastimes is pointing out the really crazy billboards! this would be right up my alley :_)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always some interesting ones along the way... we were once getting a lift with our landlords and Malcolm suddenly gasped but wouldn't say why... turns out we'd passed a gym and there was a billboard outside with a level of nudity we're not used to being in public!

      Delete
  9. this is one of my favorite posts, ever. that might have someone to do with my art history background and love for interpreting images, but it's also so funny -- these signs are baffling! i know jon and i would love giggling over them too :) keep sharing your finds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'll keep accumulating a stash of them and then post some more when I have enough :D

      Delete
  10. Oh, that makes me so sad to hear Nandos! I wish we had more than just 3 on the east coast! Nandos seriously should open a new restaurant in Oklahoma City, Tulsa or Dallas just so I can go there!
    *Rant Over*

    These are too funny! I totally agree with you on the election poster...it looks like a billboard that would advertise a TV show such as the Office or something like that! And I laughed at the poop sign...reminds me of something you'd see in China...except it doesn't since they don't really care where kids go #2. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I miss Nandos too much - they need to discover Germany!
      Yeah the election posters really look just like the ones that advertise TV shows - I think it's the unusual colours....

      Delete