Wednesday, 25 September 2013

Gratitude

Last night was our last time at Bible study, and although we'll see most of the group at church this weekend, it was sad to go. David made his famous pudding (calories-don't-count-on-tuesdays) - layers of biscuits, condensed milk, cream, custard and chocolate. Ladies, this man is single. (David, do you read this?) 

Anyway, they asked if there was anything they could pray about for us as we leave. Well, yes. There's a lot. We're praying especially that everything fits in the car. Storing ones' treasures in heaven is good advice, people.

But, we're pretty anxiety-free actually (you heard me, mum!). Looking back, by seeing how faithful God has been, it's easier to trust Him now. But that's only because HE never fails, not because we don't. So today I'm grateful not only for the "small things" like

- coffee mugs.
- being able to watch the sunrise at 7:30am.
- cuddly jerseys that Malcolm wears.
- clean clothes drying.

but also for bigger things like

- a family that prayed for us at the airport and stood strong and excited for our adventure, while allowing some tears to let us know we'll be missed.
- a husband that would do anything for my good. He once said when I was complaining about exercise, that he would gladly exercise and pass on the benefits to me if he could. If that's not love, what is? ;)
- family and friends that stay in touch despite the distance.
- an amazing host-family here that's given us so much space, but has always only been a door-knock away.
- our home here and the luxury we've lived in.
- our holiday we've had. Malcolm's course hasn't been too intense for him not to enjoy his time here, and having the time to enjoy the city together has been so precious.
- the friends we've made and the church we've grown in.
- the freedom I've had not to work these last few months. There are so many reasons why I didn't get a job all this time, and I do intend to put my education to use again soon, but it's been a time of reflecting and introspection and dreaming, and I'm sure about what my passion is.
- Malcolm's understanding of the above-situation.
- God's provision - especially considering that we're living off Malcolm's "pocket money".
- the kindness of so many people.

And when I watch the footage of the Westgate Mall situation, the bomb at the church in Pakistan and the Earthquake that has followed. And with the murders and wars and all that going on, how thankful I am to be where I am.

18 comments:

  1. wonderful reflection on the important things, both big and small, that make our days special. wish i could have come over for some of david's pudding -- it sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, there's always stuff to be thankful for! :) And David's pudding leaves me extra thankful!

      Delete
  2. You do have a lot to be grateful for! And it is very nice to sometimes have those 'jobless' seasons--when you are already provided for financially--so that you can have that little bit of extra flexibility and freedom for a time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly! And yes, this jobless season has been so good, and I'm so glad we chose time together over money :)

      Delete
  3. What an inspiring post! Thank you for reminding us to think about what we should truly be thankful for.
    http://liveitinerantly.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post. It is always good to take a moment and step back, so that you can appreciate and be thankful for all the things - big and small - that you have in your life. I've noticed gratitude and happy memories can really get you through a lot in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, the 'count your blessings' song is quite true, and by reflecting on my life and refocusing on what God has already done in my life, I always find peace in a trying time!
      By the way, you're a No-reply address so I can't email you back and can only reply here... and your google+ profile is blocked (clever!), so I just wanted to know if you have a blog I can find you at...?

      Delete
  5. Love upbeat posts like this! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure, glad you came over to read it! :)

      Delete
  6. :-) You're awesome. I hope you have an amazing move!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post, and what a great reminder to list the big and small things. It's so lovely to see how God has taken care of you guys so beautifully over the last few months, you're right He never fails. Have a fun move! Looking forward to hearing about your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's mind-blowing how gracious God has been, and the lessons we've learnt in relying on Him are amazing, and yet there's always more to learn and STILL having faith and trusting His plan is difficult sometimes!

      Delete
  8. I think sometimes not working for a while can be a good thing. It gives you the opportunity to take a step back and see the bigger picture, then point you in the right direction :)
    I'm glad you have so much you guys can be thankful for! You'll have some wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, while working these few months could also have been beneficial, I'm happy with our decision, and am now looking forward to finding something... hoping it doesn't take toooooo long!

      Delete
  9. Loved your comment about storing our treasures in heaven! I dread the day we have to move all our stuff...maybe we should start taking that into practice...but I don't see it happening.

    I hope your move works out as smoothly as possible, and praying for you guys as your leaving a place that's been home for several months! Its hard when you can call so many places home, but I'm sure your new city will have may new adventures, friends and memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... every time we've had to move I think 'we have too much stuff, we shouldn't accumulate things ever again', but it always happens - and so much IS actually necessary!
      Thanks for the encouragement, we're really excited but also so sad to leave and say goodbye to some awesome people... fortunately we're not too far away...

      Delete