Friday, 16 August 2013

Week recap: exploration

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CARMEN! If I were there, I'd totally give you a hug like one of these!



So we didn't get up to very much this week... Malcolm stayed at the CDC late most days to concentrate on his work. He's doing really well... he managed to talk to Ellen and Wolfgang about some form that we need to fill in about TV licences or something, though we still don't actually know what to do. We have 3 weeks to figure it out and then we'll see who comes knocking at the door! Ha!

Tuesday was really good though... we started out going for a cycle to see if we could find the way to the train station through the forest. Along the way I fell off my bike for the first time since I was about 7, I guess. It was so stupid... I was staring at a man cycling and pulling his wheelie-suitcase behind, and when I looked in front of me I realised I was headed off the trail. So I braked and put my foot down, but, being on the edge of the path, I put my foot down on a slope, which made me loose my balance and I tumbled over down the slope. It really wasn't very bad (only have a bruise and a scratch... and a sore muscle...), just embarrassing because there was a guy walking past who saw it all. But now it's a story I get to tell and laugh about :)

So we carried on... we knew where to go but mistook a path for another (easy to do in a forest where you think you recognise some flowers... until they're everywhere). So we decided to just keep going and explore a bit. I'm so glad because we found some little bridges that we hadn't before, and cycled through a part we'd never reached before. (parents, please don't worry... the paths are easy to trace back so we won't actually get lost and starve or freeze to death, and there are usually lots of friendly-looking people that we could ask for help :) just saying!)



Eventually we came to a children's park... loads of swings and slides and random things to climb on, and in the centre, a small lake with giant stepping stones (I'm sort of surprised that there's no fence or anything... surely it's not safe for kids to be able to play there alone?). So what's the natural thing to do? Feel inspired by the ballerina project of course! Don't you hate it when you come across a photo-opportunity like this and you didn't dress up and put make-up on...?



As we were about to leave, the light changed and it was just SO beautiful... this picture totally doesn't do it justice.



So we sat on the hill and watched the sun lower in the sky... we would have stayed longer, but weren't sure how to get home and how long it would take. We found our way to the path to the train station and, mission partly accomplished, cycled home again :)



Other than that, we watched My Fair Lady, which was lots of fun, and half of Fiddler on the Roof... they're on Youtube in English which is great because I'm so tired of movies dubbed into German with their ridiculously long ad-breaks.

Hope you all had wonderful weeks, and that you have an amazing weekend!! (Ani and Sav, I know you will!)

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful day! I really need to find that lake so I can prance across it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes! Prancing makes my heart happy!!!

      Delete
  2. oh my goodness, what a beautiful park! I'd love to ride bikes through there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was such a nice surprise to stumble across it :) :)

      Delete
  3. What a fun day!! And I love My Fair Lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! Malcolm had never seen it and I was planning to just show him the beginning, but we ended up staying up reeeally late watching the whole thing :D

      Delete