Wednesday, 28 August 2013

SO many questions

Happy Wednesday! 


I follow quite a few blogs and it’s really fun getting to know people all over the world who share their experiences about marriage, travel, life... I learn so much from reading blogs daily that it’s getting embarrassing when I tell Malcolm hey, that’s Rococo style, and he asks me how I know and I have to give credit to a blogger like Brittany Ruth. Or I tell him about a place I want to visit in Romania and it’s thanks to Shannon.

Besides just reading blogs, I love to get to know the author behind it, and one of the ways I've learnt more about others is through 6 things - where you get tagged and then answer 6 questions about yourself before tagging the next people. The other is the Liebster Award, which is an informal award that bloggers pass on to other blogs that they enjoy reading, which requires them to answer 11 questions and name 11 random facts, and then pass the award on to other blogs they admire. I was tagged in the first by Lanlettie (a South African in the North West USA) and I was chosen by Megan (an American in Germany) for the latter. (It think it’s funny that if you put them together you get me : South African in Germany.) Thank you both! 

So I thought that it would be fun to answer the questions in one big lump today, though I'll be brief, so that those who've never met me, can get to know me a little. (and those who do know me are sure to learn something new too!)

6 THINGS:
What is something we may not know about you?
Is this asking for info you’re not allowed to know or something you might not know already? You may not know my exact address. You might not know that I love a combination of simplicity and frills, that I'm generally indecisive but once I decide I act quickly. So our old blog design was getting on my nerves. Result: I changed it. (Do you like it?)
 If you could see any artist/band live, who would you choose?
I’m not really that into music (even in my teenage years, I had mostly Vivaldi and Orff playing, with bits of Phantom and other random muscial tracks in between). There are loads of fantastic dance companies I’d choose to see though though!
 Who or what inspires you?
People inspire me, and so many of them. Malcolm (he’s brave and kind), Mum & Daddy (their love and sacrifice and advice is amazing), my in-laws (their work-ethic and encouragement), Mrs Boote and Shona (their knowledge and passion for dance), Glen Flanagan (Her commitment and passion for her work and Prince)... there are really so many people that I come across and they just show me something extraordinary that reminds me that somewhere in me, I can find that too.
If you could meet any blogger in person, who would you pick?
There are so many great bloggers... but I’ll say Susannah because she’s just so refreshing and encouraging and is always really open, sweet and firm about what she believes.
When you struggle in life, what keeps you going?
My faith in God who loves me and who I can know. I know that whatever is going on, He never changes and His way is always the right way, and that by following Him, I’m okay.
 If money wasn't a problem… what would your dream destination be?
I’ve always wanted to go to St Petersburg. Though Malcolm and I have such a long list of places we want to see together.

Now for the Liebster Award Questions...
1. What is your #1 travel essential?
Money? Other than that, it depends how far this travel is... but travel-snacks are pretty essential to me ;)
2. What is your favourite mode of transport?
Train! Although Malcolm and I really miss our cars right now, I still get excited by trains.
I’d also tentatively say motorbike because after reading Chelsea’s post about going through Cambodia on a bike, Malcolm’s dream to bike around to see a country had been brought up again, so we’re thinking that could be fun.
3. What is your most favourite place you’ve ever visited?
I've thought really hard and I don't know - we haven't travelled very much together, but I look forward to answering this question one day in the far future. 
4. Solo travel or no?
NO. I need assistance. I get lost very easily. Like in Bloemfontein by myself for a French conference, where eventually I ended up getting a lift with a little old lady who kindly offered me a ride because she must have found it strange to see a girl walking purposefully along the road heading out of town. Being lost is so much more fun with somebody. Plus, Malcolm is so much fun to travel with and keeps a level head when I don’t, and makes things an adventure while I’m studying the map. We’re a pretty good team. Go Team B!
5. What is the biggest lesson life has taught you?
That in every situation I need to put on my big-girl-pants and a smile. 
6. Famous person you’d most like to have dinner with (living or dead)?
Oh la la... I was asked this question last night at life-group and was stumped. John, who looked after Mary and wrote revelations, he'd be pretty cool to talk to. Or Job. 
7. What was your favourite subject at school?
I should say Afrikaans because mum was the BEST teacher in the world ;) But as far as the actual subject goes... it’s a serious toss-up between biology and technical drawing.
8. What is your #1 on your travel bucket list?
Same answer as previously :)
9. What is your favourite movie of all time?
I love Amelie. I studied it in 3rd year and then included it in my honours research project. There’s a reason it’s the most watched French film, and I love the way it paints France, I love the soundtrack, and I love the way it leaves me feeling inspired.
10. Pie or cake?
After much consideration, cake.  But it was tough.
11. Cats or dogs?
Dogs, all the way. Malcolm grew up with both, but I’ve never really been that fond of cats.

And to wrap it up... 

I'm not going to tag anybody in this, because it's been going around soooo much, but I'd love to hear if anybody has stuff in common, or if you're surprised by something! :) 

Maybe one day I'll get Malcolm to answer all these questions... then both Bartletts abroad will be covered ;)
Have a great day... the week is half-way though! 

32 comments:

  1. Glad I'm not the only one who prioritized travel snacks. Fionn says it looks like I'm packing for safari every time we get on the train :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet-cha! It's my favourite thing about road-trips ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm totally with you on no solo travel. That doesn't sound fun to me. And sometimes I wonder, does anyone really like to be tickled? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some people might :/ or maybe their "stop-it"s just sound a lot cuter than mine which are usually through gritted teeth and accompanied by I'm-warning-you-eyes ;)

      Delete
    2. Vero has a delightful squeak. ;)

      Delete
    3. doesn't mean she likes it! :)

      Delete
  3. Just found you through your comment on From Here to There -love finding other expats in Germany! You're certainly in the perfect country to learn about bakeries :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool! Thanks for coming by! I also love finding others in Germany, or those from here... definitely helps me figure stuff out and I love reading about the adventures around the country. Just went over to your blog... very awesome! (see? I even read you "about me" section ;) )

      Delete
  4. Aww! I loved getting to know a little bit more about you! I loved your answer to the pie/cake question! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooo hard to answer... thank goodness my answer here doesn't stop me from ever having pie again! :)

      Delete
  5. Ah, cake and dogs. We can definitely hang out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your sweet words, Erica. You definitely brought a smile to my face this morning! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute list of information! I am a definitely dog person too!
    http://liveitinerantly.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So... A ballet school in a library next to a coffee shop that makes its own baked stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah... I'm thinking a mansion with a ballet school... and a library inside, and a bakery downstairs... you know, for the moms... ;)

      Delete
  9. These posts are my favorite! Nice getting to know you better... and yay for dogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially Yay for your dogs... they get bonus points due to their dignified names, and especially Malcolm ;)

      Delete
  10. Love these (and the layout for your Eleven Random Facts!). The combo ballet school, library, and bakery sounds heavenly. I'll be there shortly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was getting so tired of just text - everything is made brighter by a picture and changing fonts, right ;) Yeah, head right on over when I'm up and running - Ballet teachers will be necessary! :D

      Delete
  11. Loved reading this! And yes, I really like your new blog design! The contrast works out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks! Somehow despite yellow being my favourite colour, I really like navy with it :) (ok, and they were our wedding colours and I'm not tired of them yet!)

      Delete
  12. So great getting to know more about you this way, although a bit disheartened that you are not very fond of cats, haha:) I like the new blog design as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... I just don't like how they get EVERYWHERE... but after living in a flat for 2.5 years with my landlords' cats around outside, I kind of got used to them, and slowly they're growing on me :)

      Delete
  13. Oh that's so cool. Thanks for mentioning me in your post today. I think it's so interesting that someone can learn about Rococo style through me. I try to teach a little about each style. I think next month I'm going to talk about Baroque style! I love it!

    -Brittany Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleasure :) Your blog was the first time I had ever even heard of it! I look forward to Baroque!

      Delete
  14. st. petersburg would be my top choice destination, too:) my grandfather traveled most of his retirement, and he said it was the best trip he ever took. hopefully we both make it there soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a pretty good review for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. HI Erica, thanks for sharing some bits about you!
    I share your preferences for travel transport - train! I love train rides. I think its very comfortable and definitely less rigid than flying. I like that I can see beautiful views while traveling and that I can move around inside freely. Your list of random facts is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I love about trains! Flying sometimes feels too intimidating and it's like being in a time-capsule ;)

      Delete