Thursday, 22 August 2013

My favourite wedding keepsake

Tomorrow is 5 months since we got married. Today 5 months ago, we were setting up the venue and got married at home-affairs. After 6 months of planning for it, the day passed too quickly, as we had been warned it would. 

As we walked to the bus stop this afternoon, I told Malcolm how I wish we could re-live that day; it was my favourite day. I miss our first days as newly-weds, untouchable and in our bubble of honeymoon romance. Those few days before we came home and I tossed all the papers out of our wedding-folder and replaced them with visa-requirements and application forms and new to-do lists.

I guess the wedding industry is really good at its job, and somehow manages to get us to fall in love with weddings. I know that it’s about the marriage not the wedding and I’ve seen the saying “I want a marriage more beautiful than my wedding” pinned a few too many times. But, there’s still a part of me that wants to hold onto that day. 
{which is why, despite what I'm writing today, you can expect a few pages of details from our wedding to come up sooner or later, because I don’t want to forget.} 


Of course, Pinterest helps: not only does it help brides with ideas for their wedding-day, but how to save it forever. Keep-sakes such as Christmas baubles with the invitation in it, or with sand from the honeymoon beach or with petals from the bouquet. Necklaces with a piece of the dress. Little bottles to keep the raindrops if it rained on the wedding day. Bouquets preserved in shadow boxes or the petals in any number of containers. The cutlery from the wedding engraved. Guestbooks in any shape or form to be used as decor in your home. Photos blown up to enormous sizes, vows written and remembered on walls. And, when in doubt, put it in a shadow box.

I get it. I wish I could do some of that - I have my earrings, perfume and the guestbook. We have our precious album and one framed picture. We cannot “take a picture in the same spot for all four season, frame together to symbolize your first year of marriage!” because we got married and left SA at the end of Autumn, had 3 months of summer, and now it’s nearly Autumn again. And we can’t be in the same spot.

But, what have I learned? That my husband is my favourite wedding keep-sake, and every day I have with him. And that life does go on after the wedding... and it gets better with each day we get to know each other a little more. Every day we make new memories, and each one is so precious to me that I want to put it into a shadow box. I want to put the random flowers he picks for me in a glass bauble. Along with the sound of us singing German grammar songs together with a glass of milk in hand. I want to include the smell as we pass the flowers late at night on our walk home, or the fragrance of a dinner cooked specially for him. I want to keep the taste of the different ice-creams we’ve tried, and forever remember the feeling of his warm hands around mine. I want to remember the magic of this summer, the heartache and the excitement. 

Without minimising the beauty of our wedding day, and without losing any of the appreciation I have for the sacrifices our parents made for our celebration of it and the contributions made by so many people, there are so many moments from days since then that are worth remembering, and so many still to come. And not all of them can be boxed or preserved in a way we can see, but that makes them all the more vivid in my mind. And that's why I write this blog. 
Because not only is it keeping us in touch with people we love, but because I want to remember each moment of our time here, and every day is worth documenting. 
{which is why I have 3 books of letters I wrote daily to Malcolm for the first year of us dating, and I gave him on our 1st year anniversary}


6 comments:

  1. you are too sweet! this is precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for enduring the mushiness! :D

      Delete
  2. That's beautiful! :) we talked in my Bible study the other day about the importance of appreciating our "seasons". Seems like you're doing a good job with that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really difficult to do sometimes - but it's true, we need to appreciate each season we're in :)

      Delete
  3. This is so lovely and true! I love that you say your husband is your favorite wedding keepsake--amen to that! I love wedding eye candy as much as the next person and love even more what they stand for--a celebration of love and unity--but it's good to take a step back from the madness and remember what will remain after the wedding day ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I think it's easy to focus on the wedding so much that afterwards it's a little disappointing that it's over... which I did, but there's so much more to look forward to :)

      Delete