Wednesday, 21 August 2013

Cathedral city or White-washed tomb?

I went out into the Altstadt this afternoon when Malcolm went to school.
A part of me wishes I had taken my camera, a part of me is glad I didn’t.
I just saw and heard so much that touched me.

A really old man leading his tiny old wife through the bustle of a tram-stop.
A man with a beard – he looked like daddy and I wanted to hug him.
A man on his knees with a sign saying “I’m hungry”.
Musicians all over, playing the most beautiful music.
Punks on the cathedral steps, asking for money as people passed.
A toothless man on the train asking for food.
A street-performer-artist frozen with the world on his shoulders.
A young girl and her army-boyfriend, wearing his camo and his camo bag slung over his shoulder. 
A tribute and exposition about the Palestine/Israel conflict... photos of bloodied babies and too-wise-eyes.
 Teenagers surrounded by cigarettes and empty bottles.

The beautiful cathedral can so easily be a facade. 

How must Jesus have felt when He walked earth? I want so badly for His love to reach this “cathedral city” and I’m called to be His light... but sometimes it just seems so much. 

Romans 10:14-15
"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: "How beautiful are the feel of those who bring good news!"


6 comments:

  1. You are a light for Jesus and you are touching people. It could be somebody who reads your blog or the person you smiled at in the shop. God is in command and He has a plan. I'm sure once you are in Marburg, your light will be bright! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks mum... I really hope that my smiles make somebodies day! Just seeing this as preparation for Marburg, and hoping that we'll be able to have an impact there. Love you!!

      Delete
  2. Your heart for these people is so amazing! Let the Lord shine and work through you and that's all you can ultimately do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, I know it's Him who changes hearts and I can only do my bit in that - so I'll do my best at what I can :)

      Delete
  3. Hello, new like from Tuesday Travel Blog Link-up. Enjoy reading about your travels in Germany and elsewhere. This is the cathedral in Koln (Cologne), right? We were just there in May. It's so massive that we weren't able to get it all in one picture! Now following bloglovin'. Hope you'll take a look at our new travel blog: http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/9780329

    Jessica @ Independent Travel Cats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Welcome! Yep, this is Koln Dom, it is amazingly huge, right? I just have photos of bits and pieces of it, and bought a postcard for the full picture ;)
      Heading over to your blog now :)

      Delete