Thursday, 15 August 2013

A girl's best friend

Nope, not diamonds. Not even chocolate. Anabel. 

I mentioned yesterday that my best friend is getting married on Saturday. I am SO sad I cannot be there... I’ve dreamt about this day since Savio proposed to Ani in a hot-air-balloon, which was her dream as long as I’ve known her. A guy who makes his girl’s dreams come true? Thumbs up, Savio!

So seeing as I can’t be there to help out or do anything useful, I thought I’d write a post about this amazing woman I get to call my friend.

We met in 2008 during our varsity orientation where we realised we had our media-major in common (she’s gone on to actually use her media knowledge...). 

The lamp-post where we met, revisited in 2010. 

When I landed up signing up for French as a last resort, it was Ani standing beside me telling me I’m going to major in it. Despite my objections at the time, she was right... and then I did my honours in it. And a teaching certificate to teach it. It was during our French and Media classes that we became pretty much inseparable. Until she went to Canada for a semester.  And then to Durban.  And then to Joburg. And then I went to Germany. But even the distance hasn’t actually separated us... we stay in touch and she holds the record for my longest skype session (close on 4 hours).




Not only has she been with me for way too many picnics and shopping expeditions, but this girl has been there in my roughest times. Crying because we had tests on our birthdays (our birthdays are a day apart), and yes, the big, bad university life was mean, doing that to us. We’ve since invented fake-birthdays because September is always a tough time of year. She was there when I was homesick, living away from home for the first time (so her parents kinda-sorta adopted me). She supported me and pushed me to take steps forward and apply for things I wouldn't have otherwise. She was just as excited as I was when I started dating Malcolm. She hung out with me before my ballet exam, visited me at interval of performances. Let’s not forget how she held my hand and prayed with me, that the Lord’s will would be done as I struggled to breathe let alone speak...! (And then she remained sympathetic to me as I sulked about being in hospital!) She took me out on an adventure on my twenty first birthday, and we endured our horrific French performance together on hers. Her 21st party decorations made an appearance at mine, and we made a great team setting things up together. We also mastered the art of team-driving, me steering and her changing my gears. Even our cars were a great team, and matched quite well. We were also great at 30 seconds together, even though we cheated that one time.



Then, as a bridesmaid, she was terrific. She was always available to talk to when I needed to, about anything. She put up with my bad the-wedding-is-going-to-be-terrible-days and celebrated with me on my great oh-my-gosh-planning-is-so-much-fun-and-it’s-gona-be-amazing-days. The kitchen tea was so much fun, and such a surprise... the embarrassing mall-moment not so much, but I’m glad to see that Abi exacted my revenge. She arrived early to witness Malcolm and I officially becoming husband and wife, and sweated beside me as we set things up for the wedding. She washed my hair and scrubbed my feet the night before (because my nails were still delicate), and painted my toe-nails. She kept me calm the day of, and packed my bag. (okay she missed my shoes, totally not her fault because I’d left them lying around, but spending my honeymoon at a game lodge in heels just made me feel glam!) She took care of so many little details, many of which I probably didn’t even notice, and I know, without a doubt, that much of our wonderful day was thanks to her. Her speech elicited tears and giggles, and I really do wish I could remember what she said! Not to mention Savio, who kept dogs at bay, held our flowers and held jackets during photos, helped plan our exit and drove the car. Isn’t he great?



Ani, it makes me so sad that I can’t be there to celebrate this ENORMOUS moment in your life... I’m SO happy for you and Sav, and you both mean so so so much to me. I wish I could be there like you were for me. But, my present to you both will be arriving with my parents, and I’ll be sitting glued to my screen watching the live-stream of the ceremony (praying there are no internet-issues!). You’re going to look beautiful, and I know that your grace and joy will be visible to all who see you. And Savio will look pretty good too, I’m sure. Praying for God's blessing over your marriage, and many, many years of joy together. 




8 comments:

  1. Aww! I love this! What a great post! Sounds like you are blessed with a pretty amazing friendship! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to your dear friend. I'm so sorry you have to miss her special day. What a blessing that she's marrying a man who makes her dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known since March that I'd miss it, but was always hoping that somehow I'd get there... so just recently it's just kinda hit me. But SO happy for her - they're a great couple and complement each other so well!

      Delete
  3. very sweet! high five for good friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! What would life be without them?!

      Delete
  4. This is such a sweet post. Congrats to your friend!
    http://liveitinerantly.com

    ReplyDelete