Thursday, 25 July 2013

German sausage jokes are the Wurst

Malcolm loves that joke. Figured I might as well use it here :)

I decided to spend this lovely Thursday blog post finishing off my German speciality theme - Tuesday the language, Wednesday the gadgets and today? The food! Oh yes! 

Some of my fondest memories of Germany when I visited in summer ’98 are (surprisingly?) characterised by food. An uncle dropping a potato into his wine glass. The smell of the bakeries. Eating watermelons at the pool in Vienna. Discovering the taste of cherries. Barbecuing ribs. Kinder joy chocolates.

Also characterised by train-rides and heat-waves. 
Now, I experience all these again, but with a more... adult perspective. That is, I’m paying, and I’m trying to figure it out myself. 

Sausages. 
Yes, Germany has sausages. I am yet to figure out all the different kinds, and quite honestly with an understanding of what “leber” and “blut” mean, I don’t always get excited when I hear them combined with “wurst”. So far we've only had bratwurst, and even that you get different kinds. I’m still keen to try the “currywurst” and figure out the wursts for each region. I’m not sure an Escourt Vienna will ever live up.


Bakeries.
I’ve lamented the presence of bakeries before. A lot of them aren't too badly priced... a chocolate croissant for 90c or so, which makes following my nose through their doors all too easy. They have the most delicious pastries and chocolatey, nutty, sugary, syrupy treats. Let’s just call this a love-hate relationship and move on.
 
Bretzeln. 
AKA pretzels. Please, don’t be fooled by the mini-pretzel snack things in a packet. If that’s what you imagine the fuss here is about, you've been deceived. They’re also not just pizza dough in a plait. I've always loved real bretzeln. We had them at our wedding, though not in the traditional shape, and I think they were amazing... I would have eaten more and packed some in my handbag... If I weren’t wearing a white dress and being photographed. And if I had a handbag. Here, they remind me of home, and the bretzeln that mum would make. Plus, 1euro for 3 at the bakery on the way to the CDC is pretty good going.

Chocolate. 
Ritter Sport 100g slabs on special for 55cents? Yes please! The exchange rate when we changed was R12.50 to the euro... so R6.90ish is pretty good going! (though the ordinary price is 89c) What’s the price of an 80g Cadbury slab in SA...? I discovered yesterday that the look one gets from the till-guy when buying only chocolate, and a fair quantity of it, is one of confused amusement. I realise last time I bought anything from there was 3 slabs of milka chocolate on special.  Next time I’ll have to ask Malcolm to go.

Icecream. 
The icecream flavours are ridiculous and wonderful. We also had a McD’s Mcflurry here... pretty good, and definitely good value, but I prefer the wafer cone with ein kugel eis. Especially the fruity flavours.

Eating out.
On that note, I find fast food and eating out in general here really expensive. In two months we’ve only eaten in a restaurant once, and only been to a fast-food place for that Mcflurry. If I remember correctly, a McFlurry is 2euros69... R34?!? Although, we tend to go by the multiply by 10 rule which we generally use because 
(1) it’s easier multiplication and 
(2) it matches SA’s prices better, so things seem normally priced and it’s easier to compare prices to each other here – need to remember that a 1euro difference is a R10 difference! Even by this, eating out is expensive. 

Question:
Can anybody tell me if Bicarbonate soda exists in Germany?! Where?! I’ve been baking cookies with baking powder and they’re just not the same.... 

So, tomorrow I'll be recapping our week... hint, we visited our first museum and I have a new obsession. 

2 comments:

  1. Bicarbonate of soda is called Natron here. I think it's in green packets. Rewe or Edeka usually have it. Sometimes the American aisle will have Arm and Hammer baking soda, which is pretty much the same! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yooooooo! I'll check out Rewe... I heard it's called Natron but couldn't find it so I thought I might be misinformed ;)

      Delete